Jessica, a Houston Runner

Sunday, February 17, 2008

2/17/08: Suprise Last-Minute Austin
Half-Marathon-- 1:56:23!

Call me crazy, but this morning, with only about 24 hours notice and a pair of old (and I stress-OLD, running shoes), I ran the Austin Half Marathon! And if that's not crazy enough, (the cat is out of the bag now)...

I'm moving to Austin in two weeks!

more soon...

------




So this whole entire week I have mentioned to my running buddies 'oh I wish that I was running Austin this weekend!' Add in the fact that I WAS in Austin on Friday securing housing for my upcoming move to Austin (in two weeks due to a new and exciting job opportunity!). My mind was set:




I HAD TO RUN!




The problem is the race sold out two weeks ago. I just needed a bib. And sure enough, *watch what you ask for,* a bib landed in my lap due to Strider Terry's quick hawkeye and a generous Houstonian, Tim Allen. Tim cut me a deal for a FREE Austin Marathon bib-simply donate to his TnT page if I felt inclined and get to run for his son Andy.




So today, I actually ran for a cause.




It was one of the most humbling things I have ever done. Granted, I was not in shape to run the entire marathon. Or really even the half marathon to be honest with you. (The lack of posting on here should have made that apparent). But I ran the Half anyways. How could I possibly turn down the opportunity to run for someone other then myself?!


Thanks to the help of Coach Steeeeeeeve for logistical planning, Strider Marianne for picking up my packet and Jon Walk for motivation, I took this challange of running and had a great time. Sure the course was tough (but--DOABLE!). The hills were everywhere. On the plus side, the last mile is a downhill to the finish line. On the negative side, I strongly dislike powerade, the water stations were chaotic and personally, I like Houston better:)


But-that's OKAY! Today was about celebrating life. Celebrating Andy's life and his fight to beat Leukemia. Celebrating the fact I am in the best shape of my life and I am physically able to just 'jump out of bed' and run 13.1 miles. And almost PR. Celebrate the fact I am moving to a cool city like Austin where *everyone* runs and I truly already feel at home.




Today was one of the best days of my running career and for so many reasons other then 'just running.' Thanks to all that were able to share in it.




The Stats:


Watch time: 1:55:30 (did not get official finishing time due to not crossing Marathon finish line)
Pace: 8:49/mile


Splits:1-2) 18:52. Did not see Mile 1 marker.


3) 8:51. Passed right in front of my new place I will be living in:)


4-5) 18:01. Missed Mile 4 marker.


6) 7:38


7) 8:42 I started hurting here.


8) 9:12 Ohhh and I haven't even hit the last hills yet!


9) 8:55


10) 9:06


11) 9:23 The Enfield hill!!!!! I didn't walk it though!


12) 8:09


13-13.1) 9:29 almost all downhill! Nice way to finish!


PS: Thanks to Jon Walk for pointing out I did get an official time...although this was my first 'DNF' ever in a race due to the fact I didn't complete the entire marathon Type in the name Tim Allen to see :)


VISUAL PROOF!!!!!


9 Comments:

  • Good luck in Austin! I wouldn't mind living there myself. We'll have to get together to run the Town Lake loop in Austin. I heard it's about 10 miles long.

    By Blogger Woodlands Runner, at Mon Feb 18, 10:47:00 AM  

  • Jessica, great, fulfilling weekend for you! Thanks for letting me share the excitement...

    By Blogger Steeeve, at Mon Feb 18, 02:17:00 PM  

  • Jessica, Congratulations on your finish. That would be my first DNF for a race. I hope your move to Austin goes well.
    Tim

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Feb 20, 08:56:00 PM  

  • Way to go on the 1/2. Those hills are tough, but it's a nice course. And, good luck on your move to Austin...keep it weird!

    By Blogger TX Runner Mom, at Fri Feb 22, 08:35:00 AM  

  • it was the first race i have DNF in too:) i did find some pictoral proof i finished the half though!
    -jess

    By Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete, at Fri Feb 22, 05:06:00 PM  

  • Very cool. Good luck on your new adventure.

    By Blogger Gaslight ;-), at Tue Feb 26, 08:03:00 PM  

  • Hi Jess!

    It's Randi, hopefully you remember me. ;-) Yay for your move to Austin! I will be there at the end of March. Maybe we could go for a run?
    Great job at the half! You're so fast!!
    Denver is good. Haven't been running as much as I like, but trying to get back into things. email me anytime at randi.ashburn@gmail.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Feb 27, 06:07:00 AM  

  • Hey chicky! We miss ya here in Houston = (

    Just wondering how things are going and if you've settled in. Are you going to have internet at your new place...so you can blog more???

    John, Faithy, me and maybe Petey will be coming to Austin for the cap 10k...maybe we'll bump into ya there??? I hope!!

    Take care of yourself...

    By Blogger Pony and Petey, at Sat Mar 08, 04:07:00 PM  

  • WAY TO GO JESS!!
    Running for a cause is great, rolling out of bed and being able to run is great... I mean... ya know... for running.
    Congrats on the big move, too. See you around sometime.

    By Blogger El Oso Furioso, at Tue Mar 11, 08:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home