Jessica, a Houston Runner

Sunday, January 13, 2008

1/13/08: Houston Marathon Race Report: 04:02:13 (official!)

So I missed my goal of 4 hours...barely!

But this was a nearly 14 minute PR for me, so who am I to complain!!!!!!!!

I'm going to eat a greasy and well-deserved quarter pounder with cheese and then shower and take a 5 hour nap.

Congrats to all the PR'ers out there today!
more soon!

------

Wow, what to say.
I came sooooooo close to 4 hours.
Now almost 12 hours after the fact, I am trying to dissect 'what went wrong,' or at least 'what I can improve on.'

In terms of 'what went wrong,' two major things: damn cramps in my feet again at mile 8 (almost like clockwork!) and being hungry almost the entire race. The cramps? I drank plenty of fluids so it's not that. The being hungry thing? I had half a bagel with peanut butter, a banana and half a large gatorade before the race and then half a banana and an ENTIRE clif bar during the race. Geez....no wonder I only lost 2 pounds during the race:)

In terms of 'what to improve on,' the damn last 4 miles KILLED me. At Mile 23 and on I was walking way more then I wish I had. At mile 24, I knew I wouldn't make 4:00 so I kind of backed off the pace and relaxed a little. One thing is for sure is that this marathon wasn't as 'fun' as last year. In fact, I don't really remember a whole lot about it. Overhearing cyclists that were watching us run say 'They should be more efficient and run pace lines' was pretty funny though but I don't remember much else, I guess I was 'zoned' that much. Oh yeah, the belly dancers! haha :)

Mentally, I was in a great place the entire race though. The sharp-focus that has paramont to my training this year came into play early in the race and although I went out faster then I had planned, I was able to keep it together mentally and stay calm and collected. I almost broke down at mile 17 when I saw my BFF Wes though. Hurting for nearing 18 miles will do that to you though.

Post-marathon my body feels decent. The dumb right knee held itself together and actually didn't give me any problems during the race! Of course I wore a dumb knee brace and probably looked crippled during the Mile 23-25 stretch. Ughh...that part of the course=no good to me STILL.

So..........I am faced with a small personal dillema that I am beginning to think will haunt me if I don't go for it: to beat 4:00 this year. This means running another marathon though. Soon. I don't know about Austin though...maybe Big D in March?! Or should I let it go til next year???! I think I can eekkk out another marathon though...

All I know is I am putting it on the table now for next year: 3:50.
or is 3:55 more reasonable for me????????????????

Ouch...all I know is I am going to have to train my ASS off AT LEAST 4 days a week from now til then and stay injury free during tri season to do this. Plus lose some weight (!). 5 pounds would be nice, but even with eating right=nearly impossible to drop weight...sigh.

i'm ready to go to that next level though, as I told Coach Steeeeeeeeeeeve, that's for sure. I can't accept 'close enough' when I know I can do more....and better.

The Stats:
Start: 7:00:40 AM
10k: 00:55:15
Half: 01:56:22
30K: 02:47:46 <--about a 6 minute 30k PR for me:)
Finish: 04:02:13
Gun time: 4:03:40
Pace: 9:14
Placement:Overall-1851
Gender-485
Age Group-89

Splits:
1) 9:33 (crowded start, but it quickly opened up. I like the two seperate wave start. I hope they keep it!!!)
2) 8:56
3) 8:59
4) 8:52
5) 8:54
6) 8:05 (damn GU!!! Plus I was running with Lawrence, a recent new Ironman...nice guy! His plan was to run 4 marathons in 4 months! wow!)
7) 8:44
8) 8:40
9) 8:50 (started to slow down here, just like I wanted to though, but my feet were bugging me too)
10) 8:52
11) 8:55
12) 8:59
13) 9:04 (still feeling okay)
14) 8:59
15) 9:07
16) 9:23 (hit the invisble physical wall...ouch)
17) 9:17
18) 9:27
19) 9:30 (I knew I still had a 'cushion' so I started walking here)
20) 9:34
21) 9:32 (still doing ok)
22) 9:30
23) 9:50 (starting really falling apart here...even walking hurt)
24) 10:13 :( byebye 4 hours)
25) 10:15
26) 10:00 (didn't walk at all this mile...almost there!)
26.2) 2:01 (yes, I cried at the finish!)

When's the next one...any takers to pace me to a 4 hour finish this year:) i'll pay you:)

18 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home