Jessica, a Houston Runner

Sunday, October 14, 2007

10/14/07: Clear Lake USA 10 Mile Race Report!

To be honest with you, I didn't know HOW I would do in this race. First of all, I can't remember the last time I did a 'proper' long run this Marathon season. Plus I am fighting a mean little cold right now. Plus I only got three hours of sleep before the race. Urgh. Okay, okay, okay--I realize those of all things sound like excuses. The reality of the matter is that I ran pretty decent considering my self-induced situation, and missed a PR by only 25 seconds.


That's right, 25 measily seconds. :


Considering I couldn't even remember what my 10 mile PR was going into this race, I guess I am not too annoyed. It's just...I was sooo sooo close! Anyhow, I managed to get to the race site with about 20 minutes to spare and a little on the drowsy side. This allowed me enough time to get my packet and chip, stretch for a few minutes, warmup for about 5 minutes and then line up for the race. Good thing I didn't have to use the portolets. The lines were pretty long even 5 minutes before the race :(.

I, of course, found myself too far back before the start (AGAIN!!!). About 37 seconds before I crossed the start line...and ALREADY behind walkers and people just out to run 'for fun and health,' I guess. ha...no. urggh. I was on a mission to run hard...and after I finished my Carbboom and drank some Gatorade I brought with me I was ready to run...too bad my legs didn't want to do the same and cooperate. The first two miles felt 'okay' but miles 3-5 felt horrible. At the halfway point when I saw Strider Stacie and Claude, I wanted to quit. Seriously. 5 miles in and my legs felt done.

But...I took another Carbboom and tried to keep up with Strider Mark who had passed me a mile earlier. I knew he would run about a 9:05/mile pace and that's about what I wanted to do. In fact, other then actually finishing the race, my other immediate goal was to finish with a 9:00/mile pace or so (you know, 4:00 marathon....). Soo....I went to work. I started to pick off people to pass. I wanted to pass every 'young' looking girl I saw, and was doing it.

I passed Mark before mile 7. I was starting to feel good and I was starting to pick up the pace...A LOT. I always knew I am a stronger 'second-half' runner, but now I was even feeling suprised. I began passing people left and right and continued to speed up. I felt a little nervous that I was going 'that' fast with over 3 miles to go, but I knew I had to do it.
Mile 8 was at 8:58 and I told myself 'this is it, lay the hammer down and run as hard as possible for under 20 more minutes!'

I kept telling myself '14 more minutes, 9 more minutes...3 more minutes...' It really helped. I was really flying the last half a mile. Well, at least I would like to think I was. I probably was shuffling along pretty bad but with momentum and Carbboom and the thought of finishing fresh in my mind, I went for it.

The clock read 1:31 and I was immediately annoyed although releaved by my hard efforts. I knew I probably came very close to PRing...but how close? I saw Coach Steeeeeeeeve and found out it was 25 seconds close, but 25 seconds TOO slow. Ah well. I just have to go get that PR in two weeks at the Houston Half. What will help me do it? Running smart and hard the next two weeks. And having a game plan on race day...not just showing up and hoping for the best.

Til then-lots of hard work to do-and no more skipping long runs!!!


THE STATS:
10 miles @
ave 9:04/mile

1:30:37 official chip time
9:19/first half average
8:48/second half average

9:23, 9:29, 9:19. 9:16, 9:11
8:48, 9:05, 8:58, 8:43, 8:25

8 Comments:

  • I know you're just competing against yourself, so I won't note you were in the top 1/4 of your age bracket and the 2nd Strider open female to finish ;-)

    By Blogger Steeeve, at Mon Oct 15, 08:06:00 PM  

  • I signed up for the Houston Marathon and also probably will do that 30K in Sugarland, so will see you there in both places!

    By Blogger Jane , at Tue Oct 16, 01:25:00 PM  

  • Those are AWESOME times! I really admire all you negative split runners out there = )

    Sounds like we're both shooting for the same half-marathon/marathon goal...maybe we can run together on the 28th.

    I'm thinking at that pace, we might even be able to talk just a wee bit...maybe...perhaps...we'll see...hahahahahaha

    Sure was fun hanging out with you afterwards...take care of yourself and stay healthy!

    By Blogger Pony and Petey, at Tue Oct 16, 07:55:00 PM  

  • Dang, girl! Awesome race. Check out those negative splits!

    By Blogger Sarah, at Tue Oct 16, 09:16:00 PM  

  • Nice comment from Sarah, whom I might note was the 3rd Houston Strider open female to finish. Our bloggers are running goooood :-)

    By Blogger Steeeve, at Wed Oct 17, 10:05:00 AM  

  • yeah Sarah:) thanks for all the love, guys.

    see you Striders Saturday morning at Bear Creek :)

    By Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete, at Wed Oct 17, 12:07:00 PM  

  • Good racin' out there.

    Oh yeah, Sat. is going to be a wonderful TLT at Bear Creek. Hope to seeya out there!

    So how many e's are officially in Coach Steeeeeeeeeeve's name? We are going to have to start calling out his name like Jose Cruuuuuuz of the Astros.

    By Blogger Steve Bezner, at Thu Oct 18, 08:07:00 AM  

  • Great job on those negative splits!!

    By Blogger TX Runner Mom, at Tue Oct 23, 10:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home