Jessica, a Houston Runner

Saturday, February 24, 2007

2/24/07: My First Race since the Marathon-The Rodeo Run 10k!

Considering that I am sick with a cold, haven't been training as well as I like, and didn't sign up for this one until yesterday, I thought a time of 57:35 wasn't too shabby at all....

--

It was actually raining at the starting line and I figured that this year's race would be a repeat of last years. (Scattered showers throughout! Cold rain too!) but that wouldn't be the case this time, thank Goodness. Oh, parking was a breeze and that was a big plus for this race. Plus the fact the race had a 9:40am start time!

Even though I lined up near the 8:30 minute pace marker, of course there were HORDES of walkers in front of me and I hated weaving around them. It totally was going to waste all my energy. I felt bad most of the race...not tired or sick like I was worried about, but more weak and congested (partly due to the humidity). Mile 2 was long I think...my split was 10:00!

The dumb Eleysian aqaduct killed me at mile 4-5 and I was so thankful for the finish line I could have kissed it. I didn't walk at all the entire race and actually picked up speed at the end of the race. My watch misbehaved so I don't have actual mile splits, but I did get my two 3.1 mile splits. Okay, I was actually slower by 11 seconds the second half of the race, but at least I found that energy to finish strong. I was about 3 minutes slower then last year's race though!!!

Saw Steve Bezner and his awesome costume afterwards and ran into JuneBug and Strider Barry. On the bus ride back to the start line (the course is point-to-point), I met some other Houston Marathoners which was refreshing and got me excited about running again. It looks like I am in some post-marathon funk, and I can't wait to get out of it!

THE STATS:
6.2 miles total

57: 35 official chip tme
ave 9:16/mile

first 3.1: 28:42
second 3.1: 28:53

Weather: humid, wet, upper 60's?
Heartrate: n/a

9 Comments:

  • Great job! I didn't see you there this morning = ( You did very well under tough race conditions. Every one I talked to after the race (and they were all much faster runners!) were 1 - 3 minutes off their normal pace, as I was. So that made me feel better about my finish time.

    Take care of yourself and hope you get to feeling better soon!

    By Blogger Pony and Petey, at Sat Feb 24, 03:45:00 PM  

  • Nice Run Jessica! I was out their cheering for the runners today at the Rodeo Run. Im still recovering from the Austin Marathon from last weekend. Great Job :)

    By Blogger Running Texas Dave, at Sat Feb 24, 06:56:00 PM  

  • Promises, promises!! I miss seeing you around the race scene. Glad you had a good run. It was hot and humid but you turned in a fine performance. Stay cool!!!

    By Blogger Unknown, at Sat Feb 24, 10:30:00 PM  

  • it was so great seeing you!! missed not having you at the cook off last night!

    By Blogger Junie B, at Sun Feb 25, 11:25:00 AM  

  • Nice seeing you out there on Sat. stranger! Nice run in some nasty conditions!

    By Blogger Steve Bezner, at Mon Feb 26, 09:35:00 AM  

  • Hey, good seeing you before the race. The word is that the course was long.

    We need to get together for a couple of laps at Memorial some time.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Mar 02, 03:34:00 PM  

  • Jessica, I've put together my own blog, but I need some advice on how to get it out to the public. Can you email me at brett@riley.net with some pointers? Thanks if you can.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Mar 03, 01:58:00 PM  

  • YAY for Brett Riley's blog!!! I can't wait to bookmark that one and become one of your faithful readers = ))

    Hey Jessica...are you going to race Bayou City on Saturday or would you consider being in the 10:00 centipede to have some fun??? you can email me at aspenpony86@yahoo.com or the Strider group email

    By Blogger Pony and Petey, at Sun Mar 04, 04:09:00 PM  

  • Pony, my blog is still in its infancy; but if you're so inclined, you can check it out at http://www.takeitinstride.com. Like me, it's got a lot of work ahead of itself. Cheers!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Mar 05, 10:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home