Jessica, a Houston Runner

Thursday, January 18, 2007

LOOK-LOOK: 2007 HOUSTON MARATHON OLDIES BUT GOODIES!

I have taken the last few days of not running to do several things: RELAX! Most importantly and recover. I feel almost 100% and back to my old self four days after the big race, and almost good enough to start slowly running again. I will probably run an easy-slow 3 miles tomorrow to see how everything feels, but I think I will be okay. I got a massage yesterday and I think that really helped. Other then extreme pain in my IT bands and tight hamstrings, everything felt really good to get worked on.

I made a list of things I learned before, during AND after the marathon, and while they are fresh on my mind, I would like to share them. I learned beforehand from Mr. Sean Wade that you should never try to make up a miss split in the next mile. If you still feel good after mile 18 or so, start to bump up the pace then. I also learned to stay relaxed and have fun. Easier said then done, but it was a good reminder, because in the ‘heat of the race,’ I needed to be reminded of both of these things.

I learned during the marathon that I can’t waste energy early in the race, especially in the beginning with the hype of the cannon and the crowds around the GRB. I also learned how important it was to have support on the course. My men Ash and Wes saved my *@# by refueling me with food and drink both early and late during the race. Plus having my friends watching and cheering for me was such an emotional boost when I really needed it. And it never hurts having your name on your shirt!

I learned after the marathon that I should listen to my body better when it comes to pain. The tightness I had in my legs during my last run on Wednesday should have been a ‘red flag’ that something was wrong. I am not sure what it meant, but I am quite positive this affected me on race day. Possible causes: lack of hydration, lack of stretching before and after running, ??? I will have to stay on top of this before my next Marathon. This killed the 4:00 hour marathon finish I was going for. I also learned that I sweat A LOT during a marathon. I may change shirts during the marathon next year or at least wear my number on a racebelt so I can change shorts or shirts easily while on the run.

On to more positive things, memories of the race. I have to admit I don’t remember many minute details of the race anymore. I have a bad long-term memory that I need to work on improving. I do remember silly things though, that I figure I wouldn’t remember, like the lady with the HUGEEEEE pink flamingo and the really hairy dude with no shirt on. I also remember how supportive the crowds were through West U (my favorite crowds, by far) and the line of dudes peeing in public during the first few miles of the race.

I also remember that I hardly talked to any ‘strangers’ during the race and how delicious the beer was at mile 24. I drank almost the whole thing like it was water, yummy and tasty. I remember how silly I thought the belly dancers looked and how awesome the Bubbles truck was (it really made bubbles). I also remember high-fiving a few kids and eating an orange slice towards the end of the race since I needed the distraction, although citrus and I don’t mix well at all (it makes me sick to my stomach).

Lastly, I remember passing by some TNT runners that had their patients pictures on their backs and how it made me want to cry and want to thank them for what they were doing. I also loved the people that had a sense of humor, such as the guy that had the ‘Single girls, catch me if you can’ written on the back of this shirt and all the TV news crews everywhere and feeling light as a feather as I crossed the finish line. It still makes me cry thinking about it that single-most important moment right now…

Now for the tid-bits:) Here are my splits from the Marathon folks:

Start: 7:01:42am
10k: 58:52
Half: 2:04:49
30k: 2:59:20
Finish: 4:19.37

Clock time: 4:22:05
Pace: 9:54

Placement:
Overall-2395
Gender-613
Divison-104


And here are my BestBuy updates:

00:58:52 @ 10k, pace 9:28. predicted 4:08:11
2:04:48 @ Half, pace 9:31. predicted 4:09:30
2:59:20 @ 30k, pace 9:37. predicted 4:12:07
4:19:37 @ Finish, pace 9:54.

Here are some cool graphical info sheets on me:
http://www.runpix4.com/hou07/ge.php (bib#6135)

Here is my finish line video:
http://www.marathonvideo.com/houston2007/
(I almost take the photographer out on camera2 angle!)

Here are my race photos:
http://www.brightroom.com/find.asp?CAT=SPORTS&EV=RECENT
Click on ‘Houston Marathon’

--
WOooo…tired and yet ready to get back to running! A nice 5k and 10k PR are yearning to be earned this spring and TRI season is right around the corner! Let's go!

6 Comments:

  • Congrats!!! You blew me away by almost exactly an hour!!

    Gary

    runbloggerrun.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Gary, at Thu Jan 18, 02:45:00 PM  

  • Awesome recap, Jess. I'm still processing my race. It's a lot to think about, huh?

    I really like how you took so much away from the race and put it down so nicely. Thanks for posting this.

    Hope to see you Saturday morning. I wann give you a great big hug and high 5.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Thu Jan 18, 04:46:00 PM  

  • Great finish jess. Your an inspiration to all of us half marathoners. I think i might start training for next years full marathon. I've run the last 4 houston half marathon's. Each year ive improved my time. But i need a new challenge. So...2008 Full marathon...here i come :)

    -RunnerDave

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Jan 18, 09:24:00 PM  

  • You've been warned...a *** big *** hug from Vic borders on dangerous :-)

    Steeeve

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Jan 19, 06:43:00 AM  

  • Great post Jessica! Congrats again on a great 1st marathon!

    By Blogger TX Runner Mom, at Fri Jan 19, 08:29:00 AM  

  • I wear my # on my shorts all the time just in case I want to adjust my clothing upstairs. That way you can adjust and get comfortable without the annoyance of trying to figure your bib out. Here's to sweating!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Jan 20, 03:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home