Jessica, a Houston Runner

Sunday, January 14, 2007

1/14/07: MY FIRST (HOUSTON) MARATHON: 4:19:35!

More later, but I finished. I freaking finshed. I would like to thank The Academy, my parents and the Houston Striders…And all my amazing friends that were there to cheer for me when the going got tough (which, was most of the race).

---

So at this time last year I became a long-distance runner.

Today I became a small part of that ‘less then 1% of people in the world’ statistic and became a marathon runner!

Was it what I expected? I really don’t quite know what to think yet. Believe me though when all I could say when I finished the damn thing is that ‘I’m crazy, I’m crazy.’ I seriously think those were the only words I could say for about 20 minutes after the race, which is kind of funny now that I think of it. I think Coach Steeeeve (bless his heart) was really worried about me. All I could think of was feeling crazy and then crying like a baby. It was quite a mix of emotions.

Sooo…backtracking to the actual race. I must say I seriously felt like 100% going into this thing this year, as opposed to my Half-Marathon debut last year where I felt extremely sick to my stomach the entire race and even afterwards. I had ‘learned my lessons’ though and figured out how to eat, how to sleep and how to mentally prepare for a daunting race of a Marathon’s proportions. Unfortunately, there were also a few things I didn’t learn until AFTER the marathon…but I will touch on those points later.

I was a little worried about running by myself and the weather. The weather, obliviously is NOTHING I had control over so I just went with the punches and packed a long sleeve shirt and gloves ‘just in case.’ The ‘running by myself’ thing actually worked its way out quite well as I ran into Holden while we were waiting to use to porta-cans inside the GRB. (By the way, hug Holden next time you see him…he has discovered the ‘secret’ of short porta-can waits inside the GRB so ask him nicely and he might tell you where they are…) Holden mentioned he was going to do a 9:15 or so pace. I had in the back of my head of holding a 9:10 pace but with the weather, I even doubted I could hold that pace for half the race.

We lined up by the 4:00 hour pace group (no sense in lining up too far back as we have both done in past races) and stretched and wished each other luck. And right then I saw Striders Aimee and Kate and suddenly felt comfortable, happy and not a tinge of nervousness. I had my Striders running family and we all knew what we were about to set out and do. I felt so extremely determined and ready to go.

The cannon was off and it took about 2 minutes to cross the start. I hated that wait. I wanted to go (as did everyone else) and there was NOwhere to go…finally we were off. I knew my first mile would be slow, so Holden and I were steady and avoided weaving around others. The coolest thing about the corral system for the marathoners is that people actually abided by it this year (at least around me). I was able to run ‘at pace’ with minimal passing, weaving around others and other stupid things to waste my energy early in the race. After about 4 miles I finally felt warmed-up (as did Holden) so he let loose and got in front of me. I was okay with that as I knew I needed to run my own race anyhow.

I ‘ran into’ Strider John shortly afterwards, who said it wasn’t his day. We ran together for about 2 miles and it was nice to have that distraction of talking…it made the time fly by. I saw Striders Pam and Frank very shortly after that. They were holding steady on their pace and it was really comforting to see and talk to them too. I caught back up to Holden at this point, I think. My splits were looking good and I was feeling good and steady. I saw my boyfriend Ash shortly after who had food for me. Ahhh…what a lifesaver. I was starving for some odd reason. I was also blessed by the church, which gave me a surge of reassurance and I said a quick prayer for even more reassurance.

But mile 10 is where the trouble began and I knew something was wrong. My feet began to cramp up in ways I have NEVER EVER felt before. EVER. Not running, not from walking, not from ANYTHING. I popped two more 8 Hour Tylenols hoping they would help out somehow. I would change my gait a little and it would help, but then I could feel my body tiring out from that, so I stopped and just ‘dealt with it.’ I tore off my 4:00 pace band shortly after that, and watched it splash onto the ground like a shattered dream. But, I wasn’t down yet…I want to finish after all, and I still had goals!

I saw my co-worker Staci and her boyfriend at mile 15 and that was great. She is the reason why I decided to do the Power in Motion 5k clinic ‘so many years ago’. I realized then it was also great having my name on my shirt, so I had fans cheering for me wherever I ran. It really does help. I then knew I would see my brother Pat soon so I tried to stay cheerful as he is a runner too and I didn’t want to look too bad for him. I didn’t see him but I did see a good friend from college with her babies who I haven’t seen in 3 years. That was pretty cool.

I started to fall apart pretty quickly after that. Around mile 16 I started to get light-headed and feeling like I was bonking. It was funny to me to think I would ‘hit THE wall’ there and not at mile 18. But….wait…just wait, I should have thought. I saw Wes (my best friend) at mile 17 and he saved the day again with a bottle of fresh Gatorade and some more snacks. I almost started crying when he asked how I felt. I felt so bad and just wanted to hug him, but I knew if I stopped running it was really really going to hurt.

I knew I was going to see another friend after Tanglewood so I only stopped long enough to try to stretch out my cramping feet while I was alone again. No luck, stopping wasn’t going to do it at all. I kept trucking on, feeling pain wanting to escape as tears down my face. The pain in my feet has escalated to tight calves and hamstrings at this point, and the camber in the road was killing my IT band (both of them, to be exact). I had never experienced pain like this in my life and I made a point of running in the middle of the road. I needed more distractions.

I looked for my friend and never saw him and knew I wasn’t going to pull through this thing without ‘something.’ My iPOD, of course! I put that baby on full blast and convinced myself I was going to buy every Green Day album after the race…just let me pull through this thing. Man…and then there was mile 20. I guess you can say if I hit a wall (although not mentally) it was then. The dumb Clif Shot section angered me and the fact I was actually walking a little was killing my body even more. I fought off the emotions as much as I could, as I could feel myself want to hyperventilate anytime I thought about anything emotional. My parents, friends, music, running…you name it and it bothered me. I tore off my 4:05 pace band and told myself it was ‘okay.’

At this point I was just trying to get ‘in the zone’ and finish. I didn’t care if people were cheering for me, but I didn’t want to walk. I knew walking was going to kill my time, but I hurt so bad that I reasoned with my body ‘okay, just walk until those people watching over there.’ I didn’t want people to see me walk…I wanted to appear ‘okay.’ When Ash saw me again, I don’t know how I was still running. I would get in zones like that on-and-off. It was bad, mentally and physically. I was slowing down each and every mile…walking more and more. I have NEVER walked while running so my body was freaking out to with the quick changes of pace.

The funny thing (if there is such a thing at this point) is that everyone else was miserable around me too. I was amazed by a few ‘hardy souls’ that passed me at a good clip this late in the race. How they still had ‘it’ in them, I don’t know and I was impressed. I drank a beer and it tasted good, other then the carbonation. It was another distraction and I needed it. ANY distractions were good at this point. I don’t remember much else from here on, other then the awesome Strider water station (I almost started crying again since I felt so bad but everyone was cheering for me) and knowing the less I walked, the sooner I could finish. The 4:15 pace group passed me and I tore off my last pace band for 4:10.

At this point, I just wanted to finish, but I knew 4:20 (my original first Marathon goal) was still way within reach. But I was walking so much now, maybe walking more then I was running. I reasoned with myself that I HAD TO make this goal, and the only way how was to walk as little as possible after the mile 25 marker. So I ran, or shuffled or whatever I did that had me moving. The pain started to go away, probably because I was so determined to just get it done. I felt myself walk and would yell at myself to keep going. As I turned the final corner to the finish line (where it is still a mile away), I knew I was going to finish and I knew I was going to finish in 4:20.

No more walking, no more walking, no more walking, I told myself. This is it. So I ran, and ran and ran. I took my headphones off and heard the roar of the crowd people have told me about at the finish. I wanted to cry. I finally saw ‘the cute guy’ that my coworkers told me to find and follow and saw he was in a lot of pain. ‘Come on,’ I said, ‘Let’s go, let’s go.’ He (his name was Eric) looked like he was in more pain then me and I saw how young he was and it was killing me to see him hurt like that. It was another distraction but I wanted him to finish. I think he finished in front of me, but I never saw him again. I just hope he finished. He was so close.

The finish line, it came up so fast. I heard my friends cheering again and all I could say was ‘YES, YES, YES’ and I threw my arms up and felt elated as I stepped on the timing mat. Then I felt crazy and knew I needed to cry. All in a matter of a second. Then I managed to stubble inside and get a medal and then see the glorious Houston Striders who wished me congrats. I started to cry and knew I had done it. I finished the Marathon. 26.2 miles, with 16.2 of those feeling like Hell.

I don’t remember much else, other then getting my finishers shirt, getting food, crying, stretching, getting a massage, eating, talking to friends and feeling like a celebrity up until the painful (but yet, not really!) ice bath once I got home. Then I ate an amazing tuna sandwich and fell asleep for five hours. It was the best. Now the day after, I am sore as all getup. But you know what? I am a freaking marathoner. That’s pretty amazing and well-worth feeling tired, sleepy and sore all-over. And when’s the next one? Hmmm…

I can't wait! :)

THE STATS:
26.2 Miles!

4:19.37 official chip time
9:54/ave per mile

10:30, 9:19, 9:15, 9:08, 9:10, 9:19
9:29, 9:17, 9:21, 9:35, 9:47, 9:48
9:46, 9:40, 9:44, 9:44, 9:49, 10:03
9:40, 10:40, 10:11, 10:15, 10:36, 11:20
11:32, 10:32, 1:55

Heart-rate: n/a
Weather: low 50’s throughout, 90% humidity

25 Comments:

  • This was your first? For some reason I thought you'd done one before. I should read more carefully.

    Congratulations!

    By Blogger Ann (bunnygirl), at Sun Jan 14, 10:29:00 PM  

  • WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

    Awesome job, Jessica.

    By Blogger Sarah, at Sun Jan 14, 10:52:00 PM  

  • Jessica, you rock!! So wish I could have been there to see you finish.

    Congrats, and welcome to the club. :)

    your fellow Rockstar!
    Sam

    By Blogger Sam, at Mon Jan 15, 01:17:00 AM  

  • Congrats Jessica. That's an awesome debut marathon! Way to go! I remember last year when you did the half and became a long distance runner. Now your a marathoner!

    By Blogger Steve Bezner, at Mon Jan 15, 02:05:00 AM  

  • More later, but YOU ROCK! Two years of ramping up for a great debut. You did it the right way and now you are a M-A-R-A-T-H-O-N-E-R!

    PS - I see lots more marathons in your future :-)

    Steeeve

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jan 15, 06:40:00 AM  

  • Jessica, I can and can't believe your awesome debut. Yes, you did it the right way. Wow!!! What a finish. I'm so proud of you, Jessica. Can't wait to see you to give you a big hug and congratulate you properly.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Mon Jan 15, 08:13:00 AM  

  • JESSICA! JESSICA! JESSICA!!

    whoohoo!!! we did it! we did it!

    and i too have an academy award type post but i actually saved it back to draft to save for AFTER my marathon story.

    BIG HUGE MARATHON HUGS!!!

    By Blogger Junie B, at Mon Jan 15, 09:43:00 AM  

  • AWESOME!!! I knew you were going to do great...you're a natural! I was watching for you once we got out to the finish line so I could cheer for you but you were too speedy and had already finished. Good job!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jan 15, 10:46:00 AM  

  • Waaaay impressive run, Jess.
    Congrats.

    Bill

    By Blogger Humble Runner, at Mon Jan 15, 10:56:00 AM  

  • Jessica, I am so impressed by your debut! GREAT JOB! And, what a great post...way to go on working through the pain and other crap that goes with it! YOU DID IT!

    By Blogger TX Runner Mom, at Mon Jan 15, 12:58:00 PM  

  • Awesome. I know exactly how you felt. I was the same, well, probably worse. It was a huge struggle those last few miles.
    Just so you know, when I saw you, you were running more than walking. Which was kind of annoying to me...lol.
    Congrats, you're a MARATHONER!

    By Blogger equarles, at Mon Jan 15, 02:41:00 PM  

  • Congrat Jessica, you are fast. So next year it's off to Boston?

    By Blogger Hey Zeus, at Mon Jan 15, 02:43:00 PM  

  • Way to go Jessica! It was great to see you again!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jan 15, 02:57:00 PM  

  • Way to go Jessica. All the HRB runners are very proud of you!

    :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jan 15, 03:03:00 PM  

  • You did fantastic! And you're brave, too-- you actually tried the beer! The smell is enough to make me want to puke by that point in the race, so you're made of pretty strong stuff, girl! You just might have a BQ in your future!

    By Blogger Ann (bunnygirl), at Mon Jan 15, 04:33:00 PM  

  • every single person has me in TEARS tonight!!!

    we ARE marathon'ers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    By Blogger Junie B, at Mon Jan 15, 05:38:00 PM  

  • WOW!! You met your goal, you beat those demons, and you overcame all those obstacles. That is awesome!

    By Blogger Jill, at Mon Jan 15, 06:52:00 PM  

  • Man, Jessica. Your post took me on an emotional roller coaster. I'm so proud of you. Words can't express. I can't wait till the next time I see you to give you a big hug. Congratulations.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Mon Jan 15, 07:15:00 PM  

  • The drama of this post matches your post from last year's half marathon, which was incredible.

    OK, time to start the when does Jessica qualify for Boston pool. $10 a pop, closest date wins.

    Steeeve

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jan 15, 08:16:00 PM  

  • Super job Jessica, I have learned that marathons are TOUGH. I saw you zoom past me and you were looking great.

    By Blogger Crosstrain, at Mon Jan 15, 09:10:00 PM  

  • I have to comment again after reading your full update -- WOW Jessica, I had no idea you were having so many issues and yet -- YOU FINISHED. That is awesome. Congrats again.

    By Blogger Sarah, at Mon Jan 15, 11:37:00 PM  

  • My name is Robert Key and I am a local runner in the Houston area. I recently ran the half-marathon in Houston with my son (his furthest race to date). I saw a post today of Vic's where he had used an article I had written on my web site about advice for the USA 10 Miler back in October. I read his marathon post for Houston from Sunday, was blown away by it, then started reading links to other bloggers in our area, which is how I came across yours. My web site http://www.faithfulsoles.com is dedicated to inspiring, encouraging and motivating walkers, runners and athletes of all abilities, and I am in the process of developing a running blog search engine where people can find and read blogs that most closely fit their own ability and goals. I would be grateful if you would register a link to your running blog with my web site. From the home page, under "Free Features" in the lefthand column, just click on "Link your running blog". Thanks, and congratulations on completing your first marathon!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Jan 16, 05:03:00 PM  

  • She's a marathoner....hear her roar!!!! Way to go girl!!! Thats the way...ah huh ah huh...she did it!!! WAAAHOOOO!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Jan 16, 07:22:00 PM  

  • Rock on!! I suck, you're awesome!

    By Blogger Woodlands Runner, at Tue Jan 16, 08:35:00 PM  

  • I think you did great too.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Fri Jan 19, 07:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home