Jessica, a Houston Runner

Sunday, December 31, 2006

12/30/06: The Last Big Test-Yasso 800’s!

So this was the workout that means Marathon training is pretty much over!!! I knew this was going to be a doozy, but I really and truly had no idea as to how much. I have only ever done half off a Yasso workout (as this is my first Marathon) so I didn’t even really know how to pace myself…but how do you really on a workout like this?!

It was the hardest workout I have ever done. Seriously.

In case you don’t know, the workout is 10x800m with a 400m recovery in between…I was predicting (with Coach Steeeeve’s good judgement) to average about a 4:00 800m. Well…that wouldn’t be it today. I was holding pretty steady on the 4:10 route. However, the workout was only beginning. About 4 reps into the workout, I was already tired and dizzy and ready to end the insanity. Mentally, I felt like BLAH. Boo.

I got some water and Carbboom and shook it off. Then came the one event that helped me: the girl’s soccer coach yelling at the girls playing soccer on the field. I don’t know about you, but I played soccer before and I have been yelled at for not playing that well. So I instantly perked up, got my game together and tackled the rest of the workout. And the coolest thing? I got my Yasso’s down to about 4:05 (it just happened-I promise!!)

Houston Marathon…here I come. I can do this…4:05 sounds killer to me! (But just finishing the damn thing is what will really be the coolest!)


THE STATS:

8.5 miles total
about 1:17 of running…

Heart-rate: n/a
Weather: cool and humid.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home