Jessica, a Houston Runner

Monday, December 11, 2006

12/10/06: My First 30K-Another Distance PR!

This race was ‘the big one’ up to this point for me that had me a little nervous since everyone complains about what a tough course (18.6 miles of Sugar Land concrete!) and boring (three 4.2 mile loops!) it is. However, I decided to be above the negatives and run this race with plenty of positive thoughts. Like, if I can run 18.6 miles on THIS course, I can run a freaking marathon of 26.2 miles through the asphalt AND concrete streets of Houston!

I actually got to the race early and had plenty of time to get ready to rumble:) It was a little chilly, but defiently not misreable. It was a little wet too…but I was just going to have to be happy if it rained or didn’t rain! I looked for Team Pam/Frank at the start and asked them what they wanted to run. Pam said about 9:30/mile. I knew I was going to aim for something a little faster (around 9:15/mile or so) and I ended up passing them after 2 miles. The nervous feeling was gone, but I didn’t know how long I could maintain this pace. My stomach was feeling weird. I think I ate too much breakfast.

The first 5 miles went by pretty quick. Then the pain of the concrete started to creep up on me. Every time I ignored it, I was okay. But man, when I thought about it…OUCH. Mile 8 had to have been short…anyone agree?! By mile 13, I wanted the race to be over. My legs already felt pounded up and my spirits were dropping. I was running almost completely by myself so I didn’t have much to distract me. Thank GOD for the awesome Strider Water station! Thanks guys/gals, you all were life savers!

I downed about 4 Carbbooms over the course of the race and drank about 12 ounces of Gatorade. I made my own bottle really strong so it really curbed my need for additional electrolytes, although I did sample a package of salt I brought and it really burned my throat. Good going, I thought. The only thing I think I would change about prep/actual race tactics are take more Tylonel before the race and take some during it, as well. And bring my ginger candies to settle my stomach during those first few rough miles.

My goal time was 2:53, and sure enough, I did it, although I fought very hard for this the last 3 miles or so. I felt myself slowing down sooo much and I didn’t care, so I had to throw my iPod on and blast some Nine Inch Nails and Sublime. It worked, and rubber legs (me) crossed that finish line right as planned. I wanted to freaking cry. The after party rocked (pizza!! Tons of eats AND coffee) but I felt really really dizzy trying to go home, I think I was pretty dehydrated and low on electrolytes. I did get home okay though and now, the day after, my quads are angry! I don’t think I will be running until Wednesday. But I deserve the break! :)

THE STATS:
18.6 miles

2:52:39 official chip time
9:17/mile ave. pace

9:13, 9:30, 9:18, 9:10, 9:18, 9:08,
9:11, 8:47, 9:25, 9:22, 9:28, 9:22,
9:21, 9:41, 9:28, 9:17, 9:01, 9:12, 5:26

Heart-rate: 174 ave, 199 max
Weather: cool, wet. Not terrible race weather.

12 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home