Jessica, a Houston Runner

Monday, October 09, 2006

10/8/06: (Suppose to be only 10!) 13 Mile Distance Run!

So now it’s that time of the year where we start to get in those (what can sometimes be pesky due to sore muscles and whatnot) long runs. I didn’t know what type of shape I would be for one, because my longest run up this point this season has been 9 miles…but you know, sometimes you just have to simply do it and see what happens! Anyhow, the original plan was to run 13 miles or so miles in Conroe with the rest of the Striders. However, I was in Dallas for the weekend and got in at 4 in the morning of the long run, and the group was leaving in another 2 hours to run. I didn’t think that was going to work=2 hours of sleep sounded like disaster for running and getting injured for me.

I ended up sleeping in until about 8am and already knew that this was going to makes things a little hot, however, I needed to get the miles in, and I wanted to get them over and done with in the morning. So, I strapped on my trusty Camelbak and decided to run from my house, to Memorial Park, and back, just like the G-Map I have on the right-side of my blog. BUT! Here is where I goofed up. For some reason, I thought running that route and then adding one loop of MP made the run 10 miles…I was wrong! I ended up running 13 miles instead and didn’t realize it!

I just remember looking at my watch and knowing something was wrong. I knew it was getting hot out, but I thought the heat was making me delirous or something. In fact, as a sidenote, I didn’t realize I had ran 13 miles until a few days later! Anyhow, I felt fine for about 7 or so miles until the heat made the run not so fun. Towards 10 miles, my legs began to tighten up. I did good on hydration though, managing to drink about 35 oz of the 40oz of water I brought with me. Overall, a good long run and although not much of a confidence builder for the USA 10 Miler coming up…at least I did it.

THE STATS:

13 miles

2:14:50 total running
ave 10:30/mile (slowww!)

Heart-rate: 164 ave 217 max
Weather: cool to HOT!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home