Jessica, a Houston Runner

Sunday, October 29, 2006

10/28/06: Toughest Race in Texas-Almost a ‘DNF’

1:05:09, or a 10:33/mile pace.
Not bad considering I ran on a sprained ankle for 4 miles…

That’s right…like I really needed to run 6.2 miles on a tough (well, not really tough, other then on my ankles!) trail in the Hill Country. But I did it to complete the Texas 10K Challenge. 5 race all over the state, spread over 9 months. And a challenge it was!

Anyhow, I got up at 3 in the AM to drive to Austin. You know, nothing that a few Monster Energy drinks couldn’t keep me awake to do. A Nice 3 hour drive, watched the sun come up…crisp air…I don’t remember much of the drive. I actually don’t remember much of the race either, other then telling a few other runners I would be taking it easy because of my big race the next day.

I remember the moment in time when my mind slipped slightly from concentrating on the trail in front of me and my right ankle buckled outwards all the way towards the ground. I heard a sickly pop and started crying…I remember someone asking me if I was okay and someone else offering to give me a ride off the course, an EMT I think. But I said no and that I would finish this thing, I didn’t drive 3 hours to DNF a freaking race.

I did finish, and although I didn’t feel good while I hobbled the last 4 miles, I DID IT. As bad as I hurt, I did it. It was my slowest 10k to date, and I really don’t care. I immediately made it over to the medic tent and got a good look at it…nothing too bad they said, just a mild sprain. ‘Just a mild sprain…’ I thought, there goes my race for tomorrow!

But the worst, I think, was to come, driving home with a bum ankle! I did it though, after I bought some Tylenol (extra strength!) and a huge bag of ice. I stopped twice before Houston to change the ice out. A smart move, I think, as one of my runner friends saw my ankle later that evening and said me keeping it iced is probably what was keeping the swelling completely down.
So, a lesson learned? Of course. A race I will never do again? Most definitely. Above all and what means the most to me? Endurance…suffering…pain for the greatest reward of all…finishing something I put myself out there to do.

THE STATS:
6.2 miles

1:05:09 chip time
10:33/pace

Heart-rate: 158 ave, 185 max
Weather: cool. Lower 60’s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home