Jessica, a Houston Runner

Monday, September 18, 2006

9/17/06: My practice Tri in Manvel, Texas!

I needed to get one good ‘practice tri’ in before the real thing in a few weeks, and this was going to be my only opportunity to do it. I heard about Twin Lakes through the local-tri scene, and knew this was going to be my only chance to get in the dreaded lake swim. I am not going to lie…that swim was rough!!! I think it was kind of creepy having the little fishies nipping at my toes and scuba divers just chilling under my feet. Ughh. I did the 300m swim in about 15 minutes.

Transition 1 was about 2:15, which was good considering that I didn’t have any of my stuff lying out and ready to go. Good hustle there, Jess. Then onto the bike. The route I was biking was a 2 mile loop, so I had to do 5 of these to get in 10 miles. It just so happens that the dumb loop passed by two homes with huge, aggressive and mean guard dogs. The first time I did the loop I was able to outpedal their snatching teeth, but the 2nd time I went around the loop, I had Wes drive my car between me and the dogs. They weren’t very scared of the car, but at least they stopped chasing me! 47:45 for the bike, slow but steady.

Transition 2 was a quick and speedy .45 seconds, since all I did was hop off the bike and change helmet to cap. Plus I drank some Gatorade-I needed it. I figured out a .5 running loop that took me away from the dogs, so I ran the loop 6 times, which really wasn’t fun but it allowed to me drink Gatorade every time I passed Wes and he was playing music for me out of my car. He rocks as a training coach:). I finished the run in 30:00 even.

Overall, I was happy with my efforts and I managed to finish in my ideal 1:30ish time frame. It was sure humid and I hope it’s not this bad for the real thing. There isn’t a whole lot more training I can do now, other then maintain my swimming and biking. The run will be the cake where I get to pass everyone, Striders Hillary and Lee tell me:).

The STATS:
1:34:45 total

300m swim-14:50
10 mile bike-47:45
3 mile run-30:00

Heart-rate: n/a
Weather: humid!!! But it cooled down as the evening went on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home