Jessica, a Houston Runner

Sunday, August 27, 2006

8/26/06: Race#2-Keep Austin Weird 5K!

So after running a race (hard) and being all business this morning, this evening race was all about having fun. After all, a race in Austin, with the word ‘weird’ in it, certainly isn’t going to be your average race. And I was soo right.

I, too, being a bit weird (laugh now, but if you have met me, you know it’s true!) embraced this race and wore a costume to get into the weirdness along with other Austinites. It was a hoot. I was a pink flamingo. I don’t think I have ever been so photographed in my life. I also made the Channel 8 news. I went all out…pink shirt and wings, black shorts and feet and a flamingo hat too. It was wild and funny. And hard to run in.

This race had 6000 runners in it, and probably half of those were in costumes. From the guy that wore nothing but a thong and a sign that said ‘autograph’ me to a couple that was Adam and Eve, to a trio of guys that portrayed ‘snakes on a plane,’ it was wild. I have never laughed so loud. And the race was funny in other ways too.

Sure, there were plenty of water stops, but along with those, were beer, ice cream, sushi, and other assorted treats to snack on while racing. It was hard. The first stop for me…the beer. The last stop for me…the beer. I have never drank beer and ran at the same time before. I can now knock this one off my ‘things I have done in my life’ list. Honestly, it was a bad idea, since I wanted to get sick half the race, but it was sooooo fun. My whole objective was fun…and my next objective was not to walk and finish under 30 minutes.

That was tough; I was soooo sore from this morning. And it was pretty warm, and the costume was tricky. But it was only 3.1 miles. Not a PR, and I didn’t care. The memories of acting absolutely goofy in public and get noticed for it made the whole race worth it. Definitely worth going to if you aren’t going to take it serious. Back to serious running on Tuesday:)

The STATS:
3.1 miles

official time: 29:08
Ave. 9:20/mile (hahaha)

Heart-rate: who cares
Weather: 7pm start…nice breeze from Town Lake.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home