Jessica, a Houston Runner

Sunday, July 16, 2006

7/15/06: Discovering Why Helmets Save Lives...

Needless to say, today was another hiccup in my recovery plans. Since I have been losing my mind due to not running, I got this brillant idea to go mountain biking with my friend Chris while I was in Austin for the weekend. I figured the trails would be similar to Houston's Ho Chi Mins and i could handle them slowly...NOT A CHANCE.

To make a long story short, I hit a rock, flew off the bike and banged my right knee (same side as groin pain) up pretty good. It's still swollen and hurts to walk very long or fast. (So yes, this is the post where you can leave comments like 'wow, you're so smart.' and I would respond with 'yeah I figured mountain biking is similar to road biking.') Can you say painkillers?! (Holla'!)

oh well...i still have a few weeks til marathon season starts...but now i am starting to feel doubt and hesitation and pure agony in my lack of fitness/mileage. maybe i'm just not meant to run the marathon next year?! Is it really going to be this big of a struggle for me this year? For some reason, I was under a sorry impression that the Half marathon training was going to be my real test as a runner.

Hmmm. i won't be posting a whole lot/or be online a lot for a while.

The STATS:

1:13.58 on bike
about 10 miles

Heart-rate: n/a
Weather: nice Austin 80's.

PS: Today is my birthday. Yeahaw to turning 26 and not even being able to walk. :(

14 Comments:

  • That sucks about the bike injury, on top of everything else. Maybe spin class would've been a better choice?

    Remember though, that with your endurance base, you don't have to start your marathon training this month. You can wait until mid or late August and be okay. It's the newbies who need all that lead time.

    By Blogger Ann (bunnygirl), at Tue Jul 18, 11:39:00 AM  

  • Happy Birthday Jessica!

    Don't throw in the towel just yet. You have been running well for a while, and the marathon isn't for 6 months! This is just a hiccup in your training. Take a break, recover, and you'll be back before you know it.

    By Blogger Sarah, at Tue Jul 18, 12:29:00 PM  

  • Happy Birthday, Jess!

    We all miss running with you on Wednesday's. Take care of the injuries and you'll be back into your "grove" in no time.

    By Blogger Humble Runner, at Tue Jul 18, 12:34:00 PM  

  • Ouch, sorry about the bike mishap! Hang in there, you have been running, so you may not be out for the marathon. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    By Blogger TX Runner Mom, at Tue Jul 18, 01:03:00 PM  

  • Happy birthday! Don't give up on it yet.

    By Blogger equarles, at Tue Jul 18, 01:41:00 PM  

  • If I know Jessica, you're going to be fine. You're going to start and finish marathon training and kick a$$ at Houston.

    Take care of you. Please don't be a stranger. I just came back from my haitus and miss reading your blog every day.

    Later.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Tue Jul 18, 02:10:00 PM  

  • HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOUR AWESOMENESS!

    You're still just fine for ramping up for Houston. Patience, grasshopper.

    Steeeve

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Jul 18, 03:56:00 PM  

  • Good lord Jess, what's happening?

    Could you do me a small favor and skip the paragliding trip this weekend? I have a bad feeling about it.

    Take care of yourself. You'll heal. You'll move on.

    Keith.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Tue Jul 18, 08:10:00 PM  

  • HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Does this mean you will be skipping the Run the Woodlands 5K? To think that my 26th birthday was 13 years ago.....wow. Enjoy!

    By Blogger Woodlands Runner, at Thu Jul 20, 09:45:00 PM  

  • I'm with everyone else. Happy Birthday, and don't count yourself out yet. Take care of your body, stay positive, and things will work out for ya.

    Sam

    By Blogger Sam, at Tue Jul 25, 09:25:00 AM  

  • I'm just checkin' in on you. How's the injury doing?

    By Blogger Humble Runner, at Tue Jul 25, 12:20:00 PM  

  • Hey Jessica! How are you doing?

    By Blogger Steve Bezner, at Wed Jul 26, 08:23:00 AM  

  • Any room on the disabled list for me?

    By Blogger elf, at Wed Jul 26, 06:24:00 PM  

  • Happy birthday to you... and remember, the rubber side goes down the shiny side goes up.

    By Blogger El Oso Furioso, at Wed Jul 26, 06:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home