Jessica, a Houston Runner

Friday, June 30, 2006

6/29/06: Two Miles (Running?) at the Park…but 250m in the Pool!

So, after a massage last night, and only minimal pain as I strapped my shoes on, I decided to push myself one last time and see if I was above this injury. Nope…two miles of what I would barely call ‘running’ later, I called it a night.

I’m officially out. For at least a week, and very possibly longer then that. It’s going to be the toughest week of my life.

On the bright side (if there is one) I did get in the pool after the run and log 250m…it felt good and didn’t bother the leg. I plan to hit the pool again on Saturday and try a little biking too to see how the groin feels.

Everyone…please keep me in your thoughts. I know I might sound like I am being very whiny about this situation, but I have never been sidelined for a running injury before and it’s tough to not get depressed and sad about it, especially since marathon season is literally right around the corner…On top of that, Monday marks the ‘official’ start of tri training for me. Any words of encouragement would be appreciated. I know I can make it…I think.

The STATS:


2 mile run

20:00 mins total running


250m swimming


30:00 mins total swimming


Heart-rate: n/a

Weather: mid 80’s, breeze.

10 Comments:

  • You're gonna to be okay. Just a bump in the road. I once went two weeks without being able to run. I hated it, but I made it through. The first few runs after that felt great. Some of the best runs ever.

    By Blogger equarles, at Fri Jun 30, 10:29:00 AM  

  • Edwin is right. I also, had a two-week running hiatus from running due to a lower back injury, which was most depressing. After a week of transition, I picked up exactly where I felt off.

    I have a great book for you, its called “Running Within”. The book can help you see the big picture and realize how insignificant a small injury is.

    As Steeve told me over and over.... Patience Grasshopper, yet he will problem say I didn't listen too well.
    Bill

    By Blogger Humble Runner, at Fri Jun 30, 01:09:00 PM  

  • Awww Jessica, I am sorry about your injury! But, I am sending you some speedy recovery vibes. Sometimes a little rest is best...I am sure you will bounce back feeling great when your 3 weeks are over. Hang in there!!!

    By Blogger TX Runner Mom, at Fri Jun 30, 01:22:00 PM  

  • Walk and do a little pool running-- you'll be okay. You have a great base and a week of scaling back isn't going to ruin that!

    Get better soon!

    By Blogger Ann (bunnygirl), at Fri Jun 30, 01:35:00 PM  

  • You still have 30 days before the official start of SMART, so better now than half way thru the marathon training. Good luck and I'll second the other comments. You'll be back stronger than ever.

    By Blogger Steve Bezner, at Sun Jul 02, 05:06:00 PM  

  • thanks guys! i can't wait to get back to the road!!!

    By Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete, at Tue Jul 04, 02:40:00 AM  

  • I think it's safe to say that anyone who has been running for any length of time has been there, so we know how you feel. It's no fun having to take that time off.

    Make sure you take care of yourself. Pain (not soreness, but injury pain) is your body's way of telling you it needs a break. Taking a week off now is a small price to pay to prevent a much longer layoff if you rush it now. Don't worry--you'll be back, and you'll still be running strong.

    Good luck, and get better soon...

    Erin

    By Blogger elf, at Tue Jul 04, 09:10:00 PM  

  • It's good to get this injury out of the way. You have lots of time to recover.

    Please get well soon.

    Your pal, Keith.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Tue Jul 04, 10:15:00 PM  

  • You will get better soon, but if you keep pushing it might not be that soon. Take the break and listen to your body - it is not lying!

    Work on the swimming. Work on the strength and core training. And if possible - work on the biking. You will come out stronger because of it.

    By Blogger Jill, at Thu Jul 06, 01:21:00 PM  

  • well, how are you doing????? say something.....

    By Blogger equarles, at Sat Jul 08, 09:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home