Jessica, a Houston Runner

Thursday, June 29, 2006

6/28/06: SMART run…But not Because of Me!

So tonight was the SMARTie run…it was good to see everyone after two weeks of swimming lessons. I didn’t even try to keep up with anyone though, I just ran my own pace. When I finally met up and talked to Coach Steve mid-run at the Polo Grounds, the prognosis on the leg wasn’t good for me, and of course I already knew that since I had seen the Dr. earlier that day. The Dr’s advice: no running for 3 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I just didn’t want to believe it. When I talked to Steve, whose words mean more to me then the dumb doctor, said ‘you have a groin injury…you really need to be careful…’ I knew...

I ran back alone trying to be stubborn about the whole situation…I ignored the warning signs with the leg…I then ran into Strider Chip and we chatted and ran a nice clip to the end. The faster I ran, the better I felt. The faster I ran, the more the pain went away. The faster I ran, the more free I felt. And when we finished, I hurt more then I have ever wanted to hurt in my life. AND I KNEWthis is it. I might not be running for a while…I left the crowd when we got back from the run before I could get upset at myself for being a glutton for self-punishment.

The STATS:

5.6 mile run
53:55 mins total running

28.43 there
25.12 back

Heart-rate: n/a
Weather: mid 80’s, breeze.

1 Comments:

  • Jessica, don't worry about it. 3 weeks is not that long. This is just a test. Just like any race you've ever run. You show the same determination and smarts and guts that you do when you train/race, and I know you'll make it through. Keep us posted, please.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Fri Jun 30, 11:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home