Jessica, a Houston Runner

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

6/13/06: My First Day of Tri Training: the Swim/Run!

So despite better judgement (haha), I decided to take the figurative and literal plunge and sign-up for adult swim lessons. That’s right…me in swim lessons. So, after being away from the pool for over 15 years, I decided to give it another try. After all, 1/3rd of a triathlon is swimming!

I am taking classes through the Red Cross at the Memorial pool the next two weeks. My instructor Dawn is tough, but very caring towards us. She already has us swimming laps! (well, ½ the pool, length-wise). I did ‘okay’ but it’s going to take me a little while to remember all the nuisances of swimming. I keep swallowing water and getting water in my goggles, lol. Beginner problems that I know I will be laughing at down the road.

Well, after a rousing hour in the pool, I decided to make this a combo workout and quickly changed into my running clothes and went out for a 3.5 mile run around the neighborhood by the Park. I figured I would be tired, and sure enough, my legs felt a little fatigued. Plus I was a little dehydrated (forgot about drinking bottled water at the pool-although i drank plenty of pool water!) so I wasn’t running my best. HOWEVER! I got out and did it. An hour in the pool and 35 minutes of running…and I still have to bike? Yikes…I had better start hitting it now!

The STATS:

3.5 mile run
About 35 mins running

1 hour in the pool
(maybe 200m of swimming?)

Heart-rate: n/a
Weather: cool. Nice.

3 Comments:

  • So, how much are the lessons? Can you sign up any time or are there sessions? Never mind, I just found the info on the web site. WOW!...$25.00. You can't beat that. I really want to take some swim lessons.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Wed Jun 14, 10:26:00 AM  

  • Hey Jessica! Got your email. I just signed up for On The Run's summer tri training program, and we'll be swimming at Williams Indoor Pool down here in Clear Lake -- I think it's pay-per-swim. The Clear Lake rec center is also a pay-per-swim facility.

    By Blogger Sarah, at Wed Jun 14, 01:05:00 PM  

  • Good luck with your swim lessons! That's too funny, because I am taking lessons there starting on the 27th for Session II. I had been looking around town at different places for lessons and for $25 it's too good to pass up!

    By Blogger TX Runner Mom, at Wed Jun 14, 04:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home