Jessica, a Houston Runner

Sunday, June 11, 2006

6/10/06: Dublin Dr. Pepper 10k! Not a PR, but good times!

So I reallllly needed to get out of town for a few days, and this race couldn’t have come at a better time. I stayed Friday night with a friend in Gatesville, which is about an hour and 15 minutes from Dublin (Dublin, TX that is!) I figured that Dublin was about 2 hours from Gatesville though, and I left Gatesville at 5 in the morning, only to arrive at the starting line at 6:30am!!! Lol, the race wasn’t until 8am. And oh, how I wish it would have started at 7am instead of 8am!!! Wow, that hour might have made all the difference in my race…

Before I get any further into my race report, I must mention that I don’t think I have been to many other towns here in Texas that have had AS NICE of people as the town of Dublin. Also, the packet goodies were superb and the best I ever gotten anywhere (next to the Houston Marathon, that is), including a fishing-type folding chair, two shirts (and the race shirt is a REALLY nice yellow shirt that I plan to actually wear!), a small knapsack, and other assorted cool things-(two things of sunblock! Jelly Belly Dr. Pepper beans!) Woohoo, I was thoroughly excited. The goodies alone made this race worth it!

The race, with its 8am start time, went off with a small hitch-a bunch of young kiddos from Austin were late to register so the officials delayed the race until 8:15 or so. Ouch, ouch, ouch. I was a little grumpy about that…the temperature was rising by the minute. The course, for the most part, was flat, and although there were bumpy and uneven roads at some points, about ½ the course was shaded! WOOHOO, but it still was hot…I found myself fighting the heat at mile 2 and again at mile 4. And it was really the sun that wasn’t too fun…blah.

I managed to pick up the pace at mile 3 to make up some time, but I just didn’t feel in best race form…not doing speedwork this week hurt me a little I think. Having issues sitting heavy on my shoulders personally hurt me. And the heat…okay, so yeah it sounds like I am making excuses now. Not my best race, but I never gave up…I even managed to surge past the girl that tried to pass me in the last 200 meters…URGGH nothing makes me more pissed then getting passed right before the finish line! I saw her later after the race and she looked a little dejected. (Sorry? I think?)

Anyhow, the post party was very family-oriented and it felt like a small carnival-tons of fun! And of course, all the Dublin Dr. Pepper you can drink! I don’t even drink carbonated beverages, but it tasted soo good after that long, hot race. I checked out results and even being almost 20 seconds slower then my 10k PR, I was able to squeek out 3rd place in my age group, 21-25. (Not the usual age-groups I am use to, but I was happy). I went and changed (they were even offering showers at the high school) and took a nap on a bench in the shade until the award ceremony. It was the happiest and most content feeling in the world. Until I got up, that is, lol.

I got a 6 pack of Dublin Dr. Pepper as my prize and decided to call it a day and hit the road. Part of me wanted to stay all day and meander around the roads of the small town and be nosey. But mostly, I was tired and needed to get some much needed sleep and home cooking so I headed back towards my parents in Copperas Cove. (Sidenote: I ended up sleeping 16 hours that night after a much needed massage!) Overall…a fantastic day, if even not for racing, for taking it easy and enjoying life!

The STATS:
6.2miles
51.15 official time

ave 8:15/mile
3rd place 21-25 age group

Mile1: 8:18
Mile2: 8:26
Mile3: 8:21
Mile4: 8:03 (this mile felt really good for some reason)
Mile5: 8:23
Mile6: 8:15
Mile.2: 1:28 (strong finish for me)

Heart-rate: 183 ave/192 max
Weather: 80 degrees and then some. Pretty warm.

7 Comments:

  • Congratulations Jessica! Yours was the first result I looked for on Saturday.

    There were two young women that kept me motivated in the last 3/4 of a mile in the half on Sunday that I overtook in the last tenth of the mile ... before I went in to my "Hook 'Em Horns" Texas finish line salute. I do it every race I do out of state, including the half in West Virginia last year in Cassie's hometown!

    By Blogger WalkSports.com, at Mon Jun 12, 02:55:00 PM  

  • Great race report, and great race, only 20 seconds off the PR in super heat. Mmmmmm, Dr Pepper...one of my weaknesses. :D

    Good thoughts your way for those issues sitting on your shoulders.

    And I'm sure, at the very least, you still look like a rockstar. :)

    Your fellow Rockstar,
    Sam

    By Blogger Sam, at Mon Jun 12, 05:13:00 PM  

  • Congrats on the winning the 6-pack of caffeine.

    By Blogger equarles, at Tue Jun 13, 12:26:00 AM  

  • Congratulations Jessica! Fantastic race! To be that close to your PR on a hot day is impressive, and winning some "hardware" is always a good thing... :)

    Erin

    By Blogger elf, at Tue Jun 13, 05:45:00 AM  

  • Sweet race report, Jessica and awesome race. Napping in the shade on a park bench sounds so far away from my hectic life. You reallyl took me away for a moment there. Hope you enjoyed it and hope you find some comfort around those issues weighing you down.

    Thanks for lifting my spirit a little this morning with your post.

    vic

    By Blogger Unknown, at Tue Jun 13, 07:57:00 AM  

  • Congrats on the race, sounds like fun! Man, I wish I would have known about all the freebies...I am all about the freebies. Great race report!

    By Blogger TX Runner Mom, at Tue Jun 13, 12:48:00 PM  

  • Awesome race Jessica!

    By Blogger Sarah, at Tue Jun 13, 02:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home