Jessica, a Houston Runner

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

5/6/06: 7 mile Long Distance Run!

Tonight I got in 7 nice (slow) miles around Memorial Park. My mind and body were into it…but my fresh-feeling legs didn’t want to cooperate and go like I wanted them too. Oh well. I partially wonder if my diet played into this? I had a fairly large carb-rich dinner right before I ran. Ouch-that is one thing I really haven’t figured out yet: diet for me as a runner. It’s such a fine but unwritten science…eat too much and feel weighed down. Eat too little and feel light-headed. Eat just right and have the best training run ever it seems.

I think another possible variable into my running lately (and adversely-affecting my mileage!) is the heat…no, I am not trying to complain about it…but I am!! I think I am 99% acclimated to it (is there such a thing?!) but I just don’t feel like I am running as well as I could if it was cooler. Oh well, another ‘have to deal with’ factor in being a runner, here in TX, during the summer. Hence, the importance of cross-training with the bike and swimming. I’m eager to get going...I may even get a swimsuit while at home this weekend! (Ah, the dreaded swimsuit hunt!)

What’s the rest of the week look like? Short 3 mile runs (with probably a speedwork session tonight…20 minutes of 30/30’s?) The race this weekend is exciting me more and more as the days go by…still nervous though. I wish I could get paced again…can I average an 8:15/mile pace for 6.2 miles? I think so…but my training lately has made me think otherwise….maybe the coldfront that is coming through Houston on Sunday will affect Copperas Cove too!
(Sidenote-Not sooo much: http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/allergies/tenday/76522?from=36hr_fcst10DayLink_allergies)

The STATS:
7 miles

1:05.36 mins total running
ave 9:22/mile

Heart-rate: 166 ave/177 max (this is very good for me!)
Weather: mid 70’s. humid but breezy.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home