Jessica, a Houston Runner

Thursday, May 04, 2006

5/3/06: 4 Fast and Furious Smartie Miles!

Tonight was the last ‘official’ SMART workout for the spring racing season. Although I am kind of bummed that the spring racing season is pretty much done, I can look back on it with many PR’s and memorable and tough training runs. I am pretty pleased with what I have accomplished this spring and look forward to the summer and my goal to run one 10k a month in a different Texas city! And maybe getting on the bike and swim too? Hmmm...

Anyhow, tonight’s workout was a very simple but cool notion…guess what your pace would be for a 4 mile run—BUT!—you had to run without a watch!!!!!!!!!!! I went conservative and guessed 8:50/mile. And I was sooo wrong. I ended up hammering out a 8:15/mile pace. Not my fastest ever time, by any means, but I treated the run like speedwork and let me my legs carry me. I ‘felt’ my pace, and it felt really good to run that fast. Plus I was the second girl to finish-always an accomplishment. And a special shoutout to new blogger and Strider Bill http://humblerunner.blogspot.com/ who guessed his pace within one second-he should consider pacing a 10:30/mile group at some point.

Overall, I was happy with my efforts and I need to get back to my speedwork once a week. Two weeks without it left me antsy and eager. I hope that hitting the track once next week before the Jackrabbit 10khttp://www.rabbitrun4hope.com/ can help me try to land another 10k PR…we’ll see. I’m a little nervous about racing for some reason, but this IS my hometown and I am eager to be back home and race with my mom, who will be doing the 10k walk! Woohoo! It’s hard to believe that slightly over a year ago, I inspired her to get active and now she is competitively racewalking! I LOVE YOU, MOM!

The STATS:
about 4 miles

33:03 mins total running
ave 8:15/mile

Heart-rate: n/a
Weather: mid 70’s. low humidity.

3 Comments:

  • Yup, fine running, but only so-so predicting :-) The women in front of you has a 2:55 marathon PR! Several in back of you took hardware at Sunday's Stepping Stones 5k/10k.

    In the past six months you've progressed from participant to competitive racer. The best is yet to come!

    Cheers, Steeeve

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu May 04, 10:36:00 AM  

  • I'll trade my predicted pace for your actual pace any day. Great job yesterday! See ya at Beach to Bay, if not sooner.
    Bill

    By Blogger Humble Runner, at Thu May 04, 12:20:00 PM  

  • Congrats on a great spring season!

    Erin

    By Blogger elf, at Fri May 05, 06:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home