Jessica, a Houston Runner

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

5/1/06: A 6 Mile Long Run and A Special Day!

Today marks my first-year anniversary of racing…woohoo. It’s so hard to believe a year ago I would never want to road race. I was so intimidated by the thoughts of everyone being faster then me, better looking, stronger, etc…that is until I realized ANYONE can and should road race. It’s such a healthy sport…the commoderie is fantastic, the challenge is one-of-a-kind and of course, the post party is devine! I guess you can say I am fully addicted to racing, and the next few months are proof-running 10k’s in 5 different cities during the hottest months of the year. It’s going to be fun and I am very excited about every part of it-the traveling, the new friends I might make and of course--visiting some new cities and attempting new PR’s!

With that excitement, I ran a nice 6 miles at a 9:01/mile pace last night. I finally feel I am acclimating to the heat well and last night is proof of that. My breathing was good, my form was ‘better’ and my legs have never felt better. I did get some evil side stitches though…not sure where they came from, but they were NOT fun. Oh well…and btw, I will not be at the x-country tomorrow. I am NOT throwing the towel in on x-country/trail running yet. I mean, I really enjoy trail running, but it’s sooo risky for me. Would proper shoes work and help? I am seriously thinking of investing in a pair of trail shoes. Anyone have suggestions on how to pick one out? Should I stick with a Brooks shoe since that’s what I like? Hope to do a 25k trail run in Huntsville in the next year…we’ll see!

The STATS:
6 miles
54:08 mins total running

26:42 first 5k
28:03 second 5k

Heart-rate: n/a
Weather: high 70’s. humid and breezy.

5 Comments:

  • Congrats on the one year anniversary! Hope you have many, many more...

    Good to hear that you aren't giving up on trail running yet. There are some exercises you can do to strengthen your ankles (balance board, etc), but I find that even running on grass occasionally helps strengthen the muscles. I grew up playing basketball, so I know all about bad ankles...

    I'm still getting used to the heat/humidity. It's kicking my tail right now...ugh!

    Erin

    By Blogger elf, at Tue May 02, 01:06:00 PM  

  • I don't think I'll EVER totally adjust to the heat/humidity.

    By Blogger Sarah, at Tue May 02, 01:57:00 PM  

  • happy anniversary. commoderie??? does that have something to do with port-a-potties?

    By Blogger equarles, at Tue May 02, 08:02:00 PM  

  • i am with the others. i will NEVER get use to the heat/humidity and its my first summer of running in it...oh wait its NOT summer yet!

    happy anniversary

    By Blogger Junie B, at Wed May 03, 07:48:00 AM  

  • Edwin! leave my bad spelling alone!

    By Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete, at Wed May 03, 07:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home