Jessica, a Houston Runner

Sunday, April 09, 2006

4/8/06: Almost a Minute PR at the Trolley (what Trolley?!) 5k!

I did it, I did it, I did it! After several hard months of training (well, my last 5k was in December) I ran what I consider my 'most confident 5k' ever and had an almost minute PR! The funny thing? I think I could have ran it faster. Who knows...but I ran hard, smart and most importantly-relaxed.

Two factors paid off in this effort I think...excellent and beautifully cool weather (race time temp: 55 degrees!) and my confidence in my training since my last 5k. Yes, the speedwork is paying off...I can't stress it enough to anyone who wants to get faster-speedwork: the way to go! But it just gave me such an...aire of comfort in my running. I never felt labored and I felt super relaxed in my efforts throughout.

It helped while I was running to think of my 10k at the Bayou City Classic with Coach Steeeeve and how he helped me stay comfortable and relaxed despite the horribly hot weather we were having that morning. It also helped that I paced off of none other then the HRB's Lisa! Woohoo, it was a good feeling to keep her in my sight the entire race and know that she was running very consistantly at a 7:45/pace and she ended up PRing too!

In fact, I think all the bloggers that ran (Jan, Steve, Jen, Joe and maybe Sam?) ended up PRing...I mean, when the course is bone-flat and the weather is nice and cool, it makes you want to run faster! It was such a good feeling, believe me. I think I have another 5k PR in me this sping but will we be Blessed again with this nice of a race day? Hmmm...maybe that PR will have to wait til the fall! Dumb Texas weather!

So my only goal for this race was to run sub-8:00 miles which would get me the PR...I talked to Steeeeve about it later at the Strider's chili cookoff, he told me he knew I had it in me, and who knows what the future holds for me. This race just really makes me feel really good about my efforts and training thus far, even JUST in last 5 months, and I totally agree with him. My legs still want to go...faster, stronger, further...I think the only thing that is going to hold me back at this point with my running growth is myself...

13 miles tomorrow at the Park in the evening and a hour of biking (yes, I am actually going to ride my bike!) in the AM!

The STATS:
3.1 miles

24.21 total running
ave. 7:50/mile

mile 1: 7:51 (started too far back, but got 'on pace' by 'feeling it')
mile 2: 7:59 (dumb wind!)
mile 3: 7:47 (hammering it home...passed a slew of guys here!)
last .1: .43 (probably one of my strongest finishes ever!)

Heart-rate: 180 ave/197 max
Weather: 55 degrees at start, windy...very pleasant weather though!

7 Comments:

  • Great job. I think everyone running yesterday ran PRs. You should have written for mile three that you "chicked" a slew of guys.

    By Blogger Hey Zeus, at Sun Apr 09, 08:25:00 AM  

  • Love it when that speedwork pays off. Great race and congrats on the PR.

    By Blogger equarles, at Sun Apr 09, 08:27:00 AM  

  • Way to go Jessica! Wish I'd been able to jump on the PR train at Bellaire, but I ran pretty well in Charlotte. I'm gonna have to start doing some of that speedwork!!

    By Blogger Sarah, at Sun Apr 09, 12:23:00 PM  

  • way to go!! great to meet you as well!!! i am so thrilled we all pr'd!!!

    afraid you are right though...i think the Texas heat will get me from here on out, but i am ok with that.

    i think i am about to head out for a 5K run this afternoon while its still cooler and no humidity!

    By Blogger Junie B, at Sun Apr 09, 02:21:00 PM  

  • Way cool. Amazing how fast you've become since last fall. Hope to see you soon at a future race!

    By Blogger Woodlands Runner, at Sun Apr 09, 10:56:00 PM  

  • Yay Jessica!!!! You're raking in the PRs, woman. :)

    Imagine how much faster you'd be with a pair of those bright orange Adrenaline GTs! ;)

    By Blogger jen, at Mon Apr 10, 01:01:00 PM  

  • Sounds like you had a great run--congrats!

    Erin

    By Blogger elf, at Tue Apr 11, 09:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home