Jessica, a Houston Runner

Thursday, April 06, 2006

4/4/06: Stage One of Tour de Bayou!

So it’s back to cross-country season for me…well at least for a month and a half. Sponsered FOR FREE by RunSport and HARRA, the Tour de Bayou is an excellent oportunity to hang out with the city’s best trail runners and x-country kats…hardly any of which I know since I confine my running circle to primarly Memorial Park…Despite last season’s Practice for the Tour and me not really enjoying the Ho Chi Min Trail Stages, I made the most of a new course (for me) today.

After yesterday’s good effort on my long run, I had no plans to run these 4 miles tough. I was still a little sore and fatigued, but luckily the weather was cooler today so it would help-at least a little. The only Striders I saw were Barry and Yong Collins, who had both posted awesome efforts in Sunday’s Big-D Marathon. Yong even won her age group! Talk about some great efforts with the horribly hot weather they had up there-way to go, guys:)

Since Barry and Yong planned to run rather ‘conservative’ (their words, not mine), I ran the first loop with them (2 miles). I managed to stay with them pretty much through the last ½” mile of the end of the first loop. But, the big reason why I slowed down so much in the second loop—I twisted my ankle!!!!! I KNEW, I KNEW something like this was going to happen…I even had that ‘bad feeling’ before the run started that I shouldn’t be doing x-country before this weekend’s Belliare Trolley 5k!

Oh well…I ran through the pain like a dumby, despite my ankle telling me to quit. I used the pain to push me to finish the run…I’m not a quitter and I’m not letting anything stop me from finishing strong. So, I did. I ended up finishing 97th overall…which is better then most of the Practice tours I did last year. It felt good to finish, and even better to get off my ankle…now I hope I can heal it up before Saturday…we’ll see.

BTW-way to go Jen for finishing strong too. And I have ran into Sarah TWICE this week at two different sporting events-the Houston Dynamo’s opening season and the Astro’s 3rd game of the season. What a sport nut! I was joking with her that I have seen her more this week then I have seen her out running:) But I think the joke is really on me since I think we are going to try to do a Tri together coming up soon…ah that means I better get going on it!

The STATS:
4 miles
38.32 total running

ave. 9:38/mile
mile 1-2: 18:55
mile 3-4: 19:37

Heart-rate: n/a
Weather: warm, not as humid as yesterday.
Breezy from the Bayou though-nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home