Jessica, a Houston Runner

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

4/25/06: I'm Back! Stage 4 of the Tour de Bayou!

And possibly...my last one ever...more on that later. Anyhow, this is my first run since I went out of town last week. The reasons why are simple: I needed a recovery, I didn't have time (honestly!) and I was running around on my feet SOOO much as part of my job, I actually had blisters on the bottoms of my feet! Ouch!!!!! Needless to say, despite the fact I felt i stayed active, I gained 3 pounds and I didn't eat very healthy (I don't think I even ate dinner one night!)

Anyhow, I knew I was going to be hurting on this run. First of all, it was hotter then Haites, lol, and I was not properly hydrated. Add to the fact I didn't wear a watch (to gauge time and how long I was running) and I didn't bring my own water. This equaled close to a disaster for me on the Ho Chi Min trails. this BY FAR is my least favorite stage of the series. I enjoy trail running, but this stage really wears me out.

Add to the fact it was two loops (ugh) and a total of 4.75 miles. And I just wasn't ready for it. I finished the first loop closely (again) by Strider Barry in 23.20, who may I add is an excellent pacer. However, I lost him but found him after I somehow shortcutted (again?!) through the trails. I was a little dissapointed that i 'cheated' not knowing any better, but I was right behind Strider and fellow HBR Steve, who is also an excellent pacer. He kept me going through the last tough and hot part of the 2nd loop. He kept me going and actually allowed me to finish in front of him! (And on top of that, just for Rick aka Dirt Runner-I chicked about 10 guys!!!)

The finish felt fantastic, but sure enough, I knew my breathing was too out of control and I was about to pass out. I quickly began spinning around after I stopped running and began to hypervenilate. If it wasn't for fellow Houston Blogger, Bob, I am certain I would have passed out. He told me to put my head between my knees. I have never been so scared before after a run-but I think I was more scared I would pass out then the fact I wasn't getting any air. It was soo terribly hot it wasn't even funny, and no air. Pretty scary.

This event just confirmed several things for me. #1: This summer is going to be tough unless I try to train well and smart. #2: I need to take a step back in my training and have an 'off season' consisting of lower milage (20 miles a week running max until July) and biking/swimming as cross-training. #3: No more trail/x-country running for me. Ever. I twisted my ankle again and it's hurting worst then ever. I am not sure my poor ankles can take much more punishment. I would like to think I have strong legs, but the trail running is taking it's toll...and I think I just can't do it anymore, as much as I love doing it...stay tuned and I will let you know how the healing goes.

Onward though, and I am staying positive about everything. I have a couple of short workouts left for the week and then a long run on Sunday. I am looking forward to swimming but it looks like I may have to wait until June to start that since the Memorial pool doesn't open til then! Maybe I will start swimming at the Y? But most importantly, I am glad to be running again as I missed it dearly and I feel good about training again. Now, to get ready for my next 10k!

The STATS:

about 4.75 miles
47.40 total running

Heart-rate: n/a
Weather: humid. upper 70's/lower 80's.
no breeze in the woods! the worst weather to run in!! :(

8 Comments:

  • Awww ... if I can do Rocky Raccoon 25K, certainly you can after you take care of the marathon in January. :)

    By Blogger WalkSports.com, at Fri Apr 28, 01:22:00 AM  

  • Rick is making a believer out of me that trails/hills are a good thing. But if the ankles are a problem, tape them or stick with even terrain, but don't give up on the hills. I like the idea of rocky raccoon 25K, if someone would grind away a few stumps along the trails. Jessica, maybe you are running too fast for trails :)

    By Blogger David, at Fri Apr 28, 07:21:00 AM  

  • ah so sorry to hear about that! ugh, the heat in houston is just TOO brutal!

    glad you feel better though!!!

    By Blogger Junie B, at Fri Apr 28, 08:02:00 AM  

  • Training in the heat is brutal. Add hills and uneven terrain on top of that! No wonder you couldn't catch your breath. I ran really hard once and did the same thing. I wanted to rip off all my clothes so I could get some air! That would have been a sight!

    By Blogger Jill, at Fri Apr 28, 09:26:00 AM  

  • Hope your ankle gets better. I'm rootin' for you.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Fri Apr 28, 09:57:00 AM  

  • Running injuries suck. That's all I have to say about that.

    By Blogger Woodlands Runner, at Fri Apr 28, 08:37:00 PM  

  • Ex the Houston Marathon, I have not run a week of more than 19 miles since before Christmas. So join the low mileage training team! Let those others wear out their joints! Stating that, I am going to start picking it up some in order to prep for a half marathon in September.

    By Blogger Crosstrain, at Fri Apr 28, 08:56:00 PM  

  • I can't stand the heat either.
    I think it's probably a good idea to cut mileage for a while. A lot of people plan a few months of easy running into their schedule. I always seem to have the cutback time thrust upon me.

    Keith.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Sun Apr 30, 01:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home