Jessica, a Houston Runner

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

4/11/06: Tour de Bayou, Stage #2!

So despite wearing myself out with yesterday’s 11 miler, I felt ready to tackle what would hopefully become a quick 3 mile x-country run at Spotts Park. I vividly remember this run from 10/15/05…which doesn’t seem that long ago. But wait, that was 6 month ago almost to the day. And most impressively-I shaved nearly 4 minutes off my time from then today! Wow!

The run was hot…right away I knew I couldn’t let the heat get to me. But, it did. And sadly, I didn’t warm-up well enough so I felt pretty low energy-wise, despite a small Cliff Bar before the run. However, these are just excuses. I wanted to run for IT ALL and competetively…especially considering that I was standing in 13th place in the open women’s standings. Not toooo shabby.

Today wouldn’t be the day to hold my spot though…my legs cranked through the 3 miles and I was passed by a girl in the first mile that I had beaten very strongly last week. Oh well, I guess I will have to get her next time (which won’t be next week since I will be out of town!) I felt slightly sad…I know I put in a good effort…BUT NOT good enough this time…

I did a mile cooldown with Coach Steeeve, and Strider’s Barry and Helen Grant afterwards in which we chatted about multi-sport events and top runners in the area and other assorted business items…it was nice to get my mind off of the run that just occurred. I was not happy overall with my effort, but I ran hard?? What gives with that?? Well, next time, next time. And tomorrow? Speedwork at the track…I am worried my body is going to protest but I HAVE to do it…I can always have next week as a recovery week anyhow…

The STATS:
about 3 miles

24:36 total running
ave. 8:12/mile

1st loop: 12:26
2nd loop: 12:10

Heart-rate: n/a
Weather: humid. Maybe 70 degrees or so.

1 Comments:

  • A cooldown with Helen Grant, top female in the event, how cool is that? Excellent 3 day stretch of really tough training, you done good - really mixing it up but working hard all the way.

    Steeeve

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Apr 13, 01:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home