Jessica, a Houston Runner

Thursday, March 09, 2006

3/8/06: 3 Miles of Indian Lines with the RRCA Executive Board!

So today is the start of the RRCA National Convention is our very own backyard of Houston. Chances are if you are in a running club in the United States, your club is a member of the RRCA. There are over 730 RRCA-affiliated running clubs in the US! I absolutely had the best time meeting the board as they are all just runners like you and I:). (And some of them are very very FAST runners NOT like me!)

We ended up roping the board in with our SMART training, which consisted of about 3 miles of Indian lines around Memorial Park. (Indian Lines, in case you didn’t know, are when you run in a straight line and the last runner sprints to the front of the line, and that continues on, well, for a while!) Of course I got pulled into the ‘performance’ group…which I knew was going to be a mistake since I was still trying to recover from the nice effort I put in the previous day with my 10 miler. Ah well, I am a glutton for punishment, and it was good to chat with Striders Amy, Frank, Tim and Chip anyhow, who I haven’t seen since the Marathon.

In the end, I put in a good effort keeping up, and although I got burned in the last ½ mile. My heart rate was at its max of 100% effort--I had no more gas!! The group was easily clipping a 7:30/mile pace. I think normally I could have kept up had I not ran yesterday! Strider Santos was in the same boat as me, since he ran 10 yesterday too! Overall, it was a great run and I am excited about our visitors from out of town.

Wanna get involved in the convention and you are here in town? If you are free on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, there is a FREE runners expo at the Hyatt-Downtown. See the convention website for more info!!! I’ll be working the convention on Friday and then running the Bayou City Classic on Saturday! Looking to PR, but most importantly, see my fellow running friends I miss soo much!


The STATS:
about 4 miles

33:15 total running
14:30 wu, 19:15 Indian Line

Heart-rate: 173 ave, 220 max!!!!!!!
Weather: humid, upper 60’s!!!!

1 Comments:

  • I love indian pacing, it's so much fun.

    We did it on the last day of Kenyan Way at Spott's Park. Everytime it was my turn to sprint I'd say to the lady in front of me "be quick, or I'm taking us up a hill." The second time, she wasn't quick enough ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Mar 20, 08:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home