Jessica, a Houston Runner

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

2/7/06: Tempo Run (5k pace) at the Park.

Just getting ‘a couple’ of miles in and getting my legs moving in the briskness of this odd Houston winter we are having. I have to admit, my knees are the first part of my body to know when the weather is cold. It’s really strange. (On the flip-side, when it gets warm, my wrists are usually the first to know! Go figure, dumb carpal tunnel syndrome!)

This was my first run in my new shoes that I picked up at the Marathon Expo, so I wonder if that wasn’t part of the reason why I felt sluggish and ‘not with it’ while I was running. Actually, my heart in general wasn’t in this run. I felt slow and cold. I didn’t try to push myself like I normally do on a tempo run. Oh well, I’ll chalk it up to a ‘weird week.’

I saw Strider Carlos stretching after I finished and we talked for a few minutes. He is still trying to decide if he is going to run Boston this April or not. He told me his heart just wasn’t into it and I told him ‘I know what you mean.’ He told me that my body ‘knows’ when it is ready or not to run. Tonight I just ‘had to’ go out and do it. And things will get better. Every time I talk to Carlos, I know they will.

The STATS:
4 miles

35.56 total running
26:14 5k

av 9:13/mile
Mile: 9:42 wu

Mile1: 8:29
Mile2: 8:34
Mile3: 8:17
Mile.1: .49

Heart-rate: 175 ave/199 max
Weather: cold, lower 50’s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home