Jessica, a Houston Runner

Sunday, February 26, 2006

2/25/06: The Conoco Philips Rodeo Run 10k!

And a major 4 minute PR for me-WOW! Despite a late and crazy night at the BBQ cookoff (which I only participated in knowing I would feel OK to run in the morning), I ran like a champ. The funny thing is that I actually felt better this morning then I do most race mornings...maybe it could have been the late race start?!

This was a 'wierd' but good race for me-although I didn't see any of my running buddies before the start, I felt very relaxed and focused. And I didn't eat my normal pre-race bagel and PB, but instead had 2 granola bars and some Energy Marathon) so again, I was feeling great. I also carried my own gatorade so there was no need to stop...

As strong as I finished the last 1.22 miles, I know now I am capable of racing a stronger first half of the race. My first 5k split was 27:31 and my second 5k split was 26:41. I think my splits were pretty even and consistent, despite the uphill overpasses with the dumb headwinds. More fun stats (including video) are available here: http://w3.conocophillips.com/RodeoRunResult/IndividualDetail.aspx?rn=4012.

So, what's the bill for the next 10k in two weeks, at the Bayou City Classic 10k? I am willing to bet I can PR again, especially if it doesn't rain and I remember to bring some GU to push me through the rough mile 5...also I will remember to not party the night before on carbs and BBQ, lol. But it's going to be close--I ran a great race today and I will really have to be ready with my 'A Game' if I want to race as strong/smart again.

The STATS:

6.22 miles
54:12.20 total running

Av 8:43/mile!

Mile1: 8:57
Mile2: 8:36
Mile3: 9:00
Mile4: 8:52
Mile5: 9:13
Mile6: 7:59
Mile.22: 1:39

Heart-rate: 184 av/230 max (wow, must have been the BBQ!)
Weather: 100% humidity. Rainy and cool, maybe upper 50's.

8 Comments:

  • you were smokin' fast at the finish. i watched your video. had fun hanging out yesterday.

    By Blogger equarles, at Sun Feb 26, 05:35:00 PM  

  • Congratulations on your PR and strong finish. Should set you up well for Bayou City.

    By Blogger Crosstrain, at Sun Feb 26, 07:19:00 PM  

  • Great strong race, Jessi, and a very strong finish. Feel good about it for sure.

    Keep up the training for Bayou City!!!

    By Blogger Sam, at Sun Feb 26, 07:30:00 PM  

  • Great job, girl! I wish I coulda been there!

    By Blogger Ann (bunnygirl), at Sun Feb 26, 10:04:00 PM  

  • great job Jess. It was really good to see you!!!

    By Blogger Tiggs, at Mon Feb 27, 11:18:00 AM  

  • Good job Jess. Now there's no way I'm going to be able to keep up with you at the Bayou City Classic.

    By Blogger Woodlands Runner, at Mon Feb 27, 11:21:00 AM  

  • Wow - congrats!!! You keep cranking out those PRs!! :) Sorry I missed you at the finish line - you're so fast you got there waaaaaay before I did. :)

    By Blogger jen, at Mon Feb 27, 02:05:00 PM  

  • Hello!

    I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I'd like to request permission to use a photograph of yours in this book. Please contact me at hannah@wefeelfine.org, and I'd be happy to give you more information about the project. Please paste a link to your blog in the subject field. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

    Sincerely,

    Hannah
    hannah@wefeelfine.org

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Oct 27, 01:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home