Jessica, a Houston Runner

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

1/31/06: Stressful Days Call for Fun Speedwork Times!

I won’t even lie-this week has been another stressful week. I have yet to figure out if this year is starting to go down as the most stressful year ever, or maybe I am just not handling the stress well?! Well, whatever the case, I decided, yeah it’s been great to be taking it easy and working on my form and yadda-yadda--making excuses to not push myself, so I knew tonight was going to be THE speedwork night.

I stopped to get a Vegan chocalate chip cookie from the Smoothe King at the tennis center before I ran since I was famished and I needed *something* before I ran and I ended up seeing the group of Memorial Park Regulars hanging out, drinking something called Tilt? Hmmm, they offered me some but I polietly declined since I was about to go run. I did share my cookie with them though and chat for a few minutes. I knew now I had no excuse to back out of doing this workout, especially if they were watching me run, lol.

After a 10 minute warmup, I knew I was going to run strickly for speed and damn the form unless I started hurting or something weird. Of course, today was not a great day to do speedwork-it was so crowded at the Park and I felt like it took me almost 1.5 miles to get in a good pace. Ughh...around mile 1 I was passed by a guy who paced behind me too closely for half a mile, so sure enough, when I saw him at mile 1.5, I threw down past him and dusted him and the girl that was shoulder-to-shoulder with him. I think he thought I was mad at him, but in all-due respect, I was tired of being ‘right’ behind someone so I mainly meant to get away from everyone else and run ‘my own’ pace.

Overall, my legs could tell I haven’t done speedwork in a couple of weeks…so of course, I need to get back to one track workout a week starting next week now that I know my body can handle it. It felt sooo good to run fast, no joke. The sad thing is that I know I could have gone faster, maybe not consistently at 8:05/mile, but more mileage at 8:15/mile. Ah well, something to work on this spring! To ‘only’ be 25 seconds slower then my 5k PR on a granite trail is nothing to feel bad about anyhow…I’m backkkkkkkkkkkkkkk! Next on the agenda, SMARTie run Thursday at Terry Hershey Park. Either 7 miles or 4, I havn’t decided how my legs feel yet.


The STATS:
4 miles
35.43 total running

25:43 5k
ave 8:16/mile

Mile1: 8:30
Mile2: 8:07
Mile3: 8:14
Mile.1: .52

Heart-rate: 184 av/207 max (whoa!)

Weather: lower 60’s, really windy though.

9 Comments:

  • Jennifer, night running at Terry Hershey is excellent, you will enjoy. Then, since it's the first weekend of the month we go to mmmm...Barry's Pizza!

    Steeeve

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Feb 01, 03:38:00 PM  

  • Jennifer, night running at Terry Hershey is excellent, you will enjoy. Then, since it's the first weekend of the month we go to mmmm...Barry's Pizza!

    Steeeve

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Feb 01, 03:38:00 PM  

  • Nice run! I hate that too, when someone I don't know is running in lockstep with me. Very annoying. It's as bad as strangers who draft on the bike without asking!

    By Blogger Ann (bunnygirl), at Wed Feb 01, 04:52:00 PM  

  • Jess, you are becoming a speed demon. I'd like to race you at a future 5K event. I'm trying to break 25:19.

    By Blogger Woodlands Runner, at Wed Feb 01, 10:22:00 PM  

  • i am thinking a RTW i am free for or the bellaire 5k...sounds like a plan to me, Holden! the elusive sub-25:00 waits for no one:)

    By Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete, at Wed Feb 01, 11:13:00 PM  

  • Gonna keep an eye out for this little showdown...(insert whistling sound, and tumble weed going across the landscape).

    Great to read about you being back out. Sorry I missed ya on Tuesday...was hills, and I did that work out in Kemah. I'll keep an eye out for you next time I'm running around the park...which might be tonight.

    By Blogger Sam, at Thu Feb 02, 10:17:00 AM  

  • oooohhhhh a challenge. i like it.

    By Blogger equarles, at Thu Feb 02, 04:07:00 PM  

  • Good for you-- I'll bet there is a sub 24 5K up ahead. Better you didn't accept the Tilt drink, sounds a little schitzofrentic with the alcohol boosted with caffeine

    By Blogger David, at Sun Feb 05, 09:43:00 AM  

  • hi 'jennifer' ;) hee hee

    Great run!! And Smoothie King rocks. Green Tea Tango with Apple is the best.

    By Blogger jen, at Mon Feb 06, 01:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home