Jessica, a Houston Runner

Friday, January 06, 2006

1/4/06: PIM Run and Hyping Race Week!

Although this run was suppose to be 4 easy miles, I took the opportunity to chat with Coach Steve on the run and get in 4 ‘brisk miles.’ I think we covered the Memorial loop plus almost another mile in about 31.30, or an almost 8:00/mile pace. At the end of the run, Steve looks down at the watch and makes a comment that my running is certainly improving, and adds ‘We covered that at about an 8:00/mile pace.’ I smiled and told him it was no big deal. And it really wasn’t…no soreness afterwards and my legs felt fine.

You can tell everyone (and I mean, everyone) is getting a buzz with the Marathon right around the corner. As we were running, we saw some local elite runners stretching and getting ready to pound out a few miles themselves. And anywhere I seem to drive in town I see runners getting a few miles in before dinner or even before work. It’s almost here! Woohoo! Afterwards (even with college football awaiting us to be watched) we all stuck around and told stories of previous marathons...I'll have to remember for next year to make sure and have my family meet me with food somewhere past mile 15 since apparently lots of marathon runners get hungry during races?

In other related news, I got my confirmation card for the Half, and I am in the back corral (a new thing they are doing this year). I don’t really mind, but I don’t want to go out too fast, but at the same time, get stuck behind any slower runners and walkers. Steve told me to line up in the very front of the corral, which I think will be a first for me because I usually line up anywhere from the 2nd quarter to the halfway from the startline in a race. The closest I have lined up to the front of a race was at the 8.4k back in November, and that has been my best race yet. Maybe it’s a subconscious competitive thing I have? That I don’t want people to pass me at all so I keep my pace up and race faster? Or that just the adrenaline? Not too sure but it’s interesting to meddle over…

All that’s left from here is a ‘short’ 10 mile run with the SMARTies on Saturday morning, and then I plan to do 2 three mile runs next week, for a total mileage of 16 miles. I know that’s all I really need so there is no point in overdoing it or just running to run (and waste the energy I am suppose to saving). Man, I am getting so antsy from cutting down on my mileage! Next Sunday won’t come soon enough!

The STATS:

4 miles (almost)
31.30 total running

Heart-rate: 169 ave. 202 max
Weather: really humid…maybe upper 50’s?

8 Comments:

  • Jessica, just out of curiosity do you know approximately what % of your max that heartrate was at 202? I'd be that high too at that pace - way to go!

    I'm skipping all my cross-training next week and just doing short runs as well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Jan 06, 12:28:00 PM  

  • I'm in the back corral too -- whatever that means.

    By Blogger Sarah, at Fri Jan 06, 12:49:00 PM  

  • Barbara-
    That was exactly 100% of my max at 70% of my target zone! I think I only hit that fast of a heartrate for a few seconds though. I do need to recalibrate my watch though as well as update my resting heart rates, so i expect all my heartrate percentages to be slightly until then.

    By Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete, at Fri Jan 06, 01:33:00 PM  

  • Wow! You're fast Jessica!

    Best of luck on the Half. I'm sure you'll have a blast!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Jan 06, 03:27:00 PM  

  • I would line up at the front of the back corral for sure if I were you. I wonder what percentage of runners are in the front corral? I'm in the back as well for the full.

    By Blogger Crosstrain, at Fri Jan 06, 09:48:00 PM  

  • My "crew" met me a various places with bananas, Cliff bars, and other supplies last year. Not a bad idea.
    Rock on. 8 days and counting.

    By Blogger El Oso Furioso, at Sat Jan 07, 12:22:00 AM  

  • dang....you're fast!!! It's gonna be fun to see how much faster you get.

    By Blogger equarles, at Sat Jan 07, 09:32:00 AM  

  • The SMARTies, maybe I should consider that group :) Good job on the training- you will be running a Marathon in no time.

    By Blogger David, at Mon Jan 09, 08:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home