Jessica, a Houston Runner

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

1/24/06: Back to the Good Old Park!

I finally found the courage to get back to the trails, lol. I have to admit, there is something to be said about the treadmill/deadmill that can be soothing at times: A/C, a TV turned to Sex in the City, and the comfort of focusing simply on my form and no distractions of others runners, traffic, and pits in the trails…(in essence-what makes running RUNNING, lol)…Anyhow, the plan originally was to do a 2 mile w/u and c/d and then 3 miles at a tempo pace. Instead, I made the entire run a tempo run. My time was much slower then what I normally do my weekly 5k speed session in (goal for my first 5k of this year, either RTW in Feb. or the Bellaire Trolley 5k in April…break sub 25:00!) but it felt comfortable, relaxed and exactly what I needed: consistency.

I really focused mostly on what felt right (in terms of my form) and yet, controlled. I could tell when I pulled my right foot in, my knees would slightly touch. So, I brought my chest up more and out and pushed off the balls of my feet more and kept my feet in-line. I actually felt a small burst of energy every time I did that! I felt myself go faster, then I would quickly tired out and slow back down. Wow, it’s amazing what a small change in your form can do for your running! I finally settled on what felt best and I could tell I was beginning to get sore in my right calf because I am using some muscles that aren’t quite as developed as my stronger and dominant left leg.

After that (and running by Cassie who looked like she was having an awesome run!), I did the most amazingly long stretching session ever (maybe 30 minutes?) I really spent a lot of time loosening my hamstrings up and just feeling very relaxed. I even did 200 crunches for good measure and to end the night on a good vibe. Everyone was hanging out and telling stories of the Marathon and I can’t wait to have stories to add this time next year! Up tomorrow: 3 mile recovery run and weights at the Gym…

The STATS:

5 miles
47.14 total running

Mile1: 9:21
Mile2: 9:26
Mile3: 9:32
Mile4: 9:27
Mile5: 9:27

Heart-rate: 176 ave, 196 max
Weather: cool, lower 50’s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home