Jessica, a Houston Runner

Monday, January 02, 2006

12/31/05: Last Run of the Year and a Doozy!

Yasso 800's...yum, a personal favorite of mine although I have yet to run for a full marathon yet. Read more about them here and here. I decided that since the rest of the SMARTies would be doing them (albiet much earlier in the day), I would tackle them too. Of course, by the time I got out to run, it was getting warm (ah okay, maybe like 60's, but it's wicked humid too!)

As I did the obligatory warmup, I tried to calculate what my times should be...I want to finish the half in 2 hours flat. So that would be a 4 hour marathon or a 4:00 Yasso, right? Lol, I was confused and still not sure so I fired away and went out wayyyy to fast the first 800-3:37!! Yikes, I pretty much killed the workout there. Or so I thought.

I did a 400m recovery and grabbed some water and went at it again. 4:04. That was more like it. Then I recovered and grabbed water and did it again. 4:10, then 4:06, then 4:05, then to finish it off strong: 3:58. Granted, those 800's should have been in the upper '3's'. But I was pleased that I could stay strong through all 6 Yasso's despite the heat and going out too strong right away.

Overall, a great workout and I was pleased with my efforts. Even after the workout, I felt accomplished and my legs felt bouncy and strong. I could tell I pushed as much as I could, but my legs told me they could have done 4 more 800's. Enough, I told them. Save it for the Big Day, You guys need a 2 week 'easy' vacation now! Coach Steeeve mentioned via email our legs needed to start building gylcerin and that they would feel eager to run harder then we should let them. Resist! Lol, it seems funny reading that email now but it's true-my legs are already feeling withdrawal!

Happy New Year, Ya'll and a nice relaxed 12 mile distance run awaits me in the new year!!!!!

The STATS:
5 miles

4:00 ave Yasso (woohoo, my goal!)
5:13 warmup

800#1-3:37
rec 2:27
800#2-4:04
rec 2:32
800#3-4:10
rec 2:33
800#4-4:06
rec 2:40
800#5-4:05
rec 2:52
800#6-3:58
rec 2:25

Heart-rate: 171 ave, 191 max
Weather: humid!!!!! upper 60's.

3 Comments:

  • or is it GLYCOGEN?!

    By Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete, at Mon Jan 02, 05:01:00 PM  

  • finally, a post from you. actually a bunch of posts.

    By Blogger equarles, at Mon Jan 02, 08:16:00 PM  

  • Hey Jessica,

    A 2 hour half marathon actually equates to a 4:15 marathon (if you could run two 2 hour half marathons back to back no doubt you could do one half marathon quicker than that). So, you knocked out a very nice 6x800 at tough pace. Fun to see you needed an 800 to get "calibrated", that's not unusual.

    Saturday's 10 miler would be an excellent tune up for you, hope it's on your schedule!

    Cheers, Steeeve

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jan 02, 09:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home