Jessica, a Houston Runner

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

1/2/06: 7 Miles of Bliss, 5 Miles of Pain…

I honestly need to tell myself to stop feeling bad about this run. After all, this is the fastest long distance run (without a pacer) to date. I averaged a ‘toasty’ 9:18/mile overall and during the first 7 miles (where I felt I could have ran even faster) I averaged 9:04/mile! What got me in the last 5 miles were my hamstrings. The right one tightened up to where I knew my gait was thrown off and that affected my pace and right calf as well. Then in the last two miles, my left hammy tightened up due to the right leg freaking out. Kind of scary and I wanted to quit so many times.

However, I pushed through it. Thinking about how you all (my friends/readers) would want me to be successful and finish, even if it wasn’t as strong as I could usually finish. Thinking about my coaches who would want me to not throw away a good run just because of a few bad miles. Thinking about how hard I have worked this past year with my running--setting new goals and PR’s at every race it seems…race day never left my mind, that’s for sure…
Overall, Inspiration and perseverance, it’s amazing what the power of the mind can do…

I don’t know *if* I did something wrong with this run (like, not drink enough water? Not take GU? Overstretch? Understretch?) but it was an awful feeling. All I know is I am toast if I want to finish the half in under 2 hours and this happens again. Maybe I went out too fast and didn’t aim for negative splits? I don’t know. I don’t KNOW! I’m pretty frustrated right now but feeling accomplished that my running is still improving with only 2 weeks til the big day…I suppose I should just be happy for my strength and slight-amount of speed and know I can always improve!

The STATS:
12 miles

1:51:39 total running
ave 9:18/mile

Mile1: 9:13
Mile2: 9:10
Mile3: 9:06
Mile4: 8:48
Mile5: 9:06
Mile6: 9:02
Mile7: 9:03
Mile8: 9:47
Mile9: 9:23
Mile10: 9:25
Mile11: 9:57
Mile12: 9:33

Heart-rate: 170 ave. 182 max
Weather: cool. Lower 60’s.

7 Comments:

  • Leave something on the table for January 15th!

    Happy New Year!

    By Blogger WalkSports.com, at Tue Jan 03, 11:21:00 AM  

  • Sometimes you bonk, it happens. The big difference in a bonk run is finishing not quitting. Finishing a bad run is in fact great training. When the pain shows up for me I like to welcome it, embrase it and invite the pain along to run with me as a friend. Kinda like a family member. Never let pain win.

    By Blogger Hey Zeus, at Tue Jan 03, 11:30:00 AM  

  • sounds like my 17-miler last week. I just kept going.
    way to gut it out and finish!

    By Blogger equarles, at Tue Jan 03, 12:32:00 PM  

  • you looked pretty good to me as you zipped by! If I were you I'd rest- no more big runs until the half. You are more than ready to run a 2 hour (or less).

    By Blogger Tiggs, at Tue Jan 03, 12:48:00 PM  

  • well, first of all, no fair weather wise!!!!! second of all... you pushed thru in a training run... a *training* run... which leads me to believe that you will break thru whatever wall might pop up in front of you come race day.

    take a cue from your body and rest a bit, and then go out there and kick some half-mara ass!

    By Blogger a.maria, at Tue Jan 03, 02:47:00 PM  

  • Made it here by way of DirtRunner..
    Oh omg, you totally rock! You can so do it under 2 hours! Pain is good! Good luck!

    By Blogger psbowe, at Wed Jan 04, 12:32:00 PM  

  • 12 miles is 12 miles. Good job.

    Don't worry about what u did wrong. Just rest up. Two weeks and is your big race.

    It will be great. :)

    By Blogger Cliff, at Wed Jan 04, 12:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home