Jessica, a Houston Runner

Sunday, January 15, 2006

1/15/05: My first ever Half-Marathon-1:58:39!!!!!!!!

A year ago today, I didn't think I could run more then 3 miles as I watched the Houston Marathon by my house in the Galleria area (around mile 18) and was just in complete awe by the runners and walkers.

Today, I 'became' one of those long-distance runners and ran 13.1 miles.

And now I KNOW I can the 26.2 miles next year.

It's an incredible feeling knowing that I have spent the last year of my life living and breathing running and training every chance I got-sacrificing a social life, time to teach music, and setting goals for myself that I never thought were possible...it's so amazing what determination and being inspired by others can do for one stubborn--but hard-working--girl.

The actual race itself seemed so much shorter then two hours to me in the grand scheme of things. Even after getting only 4 hours of sleep this morning, trying to get to DT Houston and be mentally-relaxed wayyyyy before the race seemed to stretch on forever. It felt great to have the support of the other HRB's though as we meet at our little zone. I felt everyone's uneasiness yet excitement about the race. It was soothing to me to know I wasn't alone.

After finding Jen during the pre-race festivites and calming each other's nerves, I parted ways with her and made my way to my start line, hoping to line up to the front as close as possible. I ended up finding Coach Barry and giving him the biggest hug. I was nervous and I could feel my hand shaking as he lead me through the crowd to the front of the pack. As I stood there getting in my last-second stretching, I heard the gun go off--I don't think you are ever TRULY 'prepared' for that start gun. What if your shoe is untied? What if you didn't start your watch in time? What if you realize you forgot your water bottle? I felt the entire front corral jump (how I ended up in THAT corral is beyond me) and that made me realize that this was the real thing-no turning back now-over 8000 Halfers about to do the same thing I was going to do. I wanted to cry right there in front of everyone else.

The first few miles were extremely crowded. In fact, I would say that the first 8-9 miles were more crowded then I personally felt comfortable with. (Sidenote: this just assures to me that I need to race shorter races this off-season with the larger race crowds). I will never forget looking to my right after the first overpass/hill and seeing the beautiful sun rise. It made me feel so...small and insignificant in the grand picture of life. Very humbling.

Although I was getting passed by a few people, I resisted the urge to go with them and held back. Barry told me before the gun went off that I would have to hold back and my time would be much slower then I expected. I clocked in the first mile at 9:50. I felt a little dissapointed but using my pace band that I made a few days ago, I was able to do some quick and easy calculations to figure out what times I needed to do to get back on pace for 2:00 hours.

After merging with the full marathoners at mile 2 and looking for any familar faces to cheer for, it only got more crowded and there were still tons of people weaving through...I got tripped-up twice and it only annoyed the hell out of me so I got as far away from those jack-asses as possible. There were so many 'interesting characters' during the race...people having conversations about their taxes, guys from the hip-hop radio station (the Box 104.9) offering donuts to anyone who would take one: "Here's the last one for you, sexy!" I politely declined.

Mile 2 found me right on pace-9:07. However, my legs still felt asleep. In fact, it would take almost three full miles for my legs to finally feel warmed-up and okay. Good thing it wasn't super cold out (start time tempature was 57 degrees) as I am willing to bet my legs would have felt worst.

Mile 3 was through the barrio it seems: 9:29. I knew I needed a Carbboom and needed it right away. I sucked that thing up so fast I was even licking my fingers, lol. Somehow, and perhaps because of the guy holding up the sign that said: "This way to Treasures [Strip Club]," I was laughing so hard and missed the mile 4 marker.

Based off my watch, I would say that I completed miles 4 and mile 5 at an even 9:00/mile pace. This is right where I needed to be according to my pace band. I was feeling great other then the nasty smells that were floating around near those pretty homes in the Heights. In fact, most of the race found me appalled by the odors in the air: sewage, vomit, cooking bacon, donuts, et....ughh. I fought off nasuea almost the entire race.

Eager to get out of the Heights and into my own zone, I clocked in mile 6 at 8:46. This was definetely too fast but there was a little downhill involved (due to underpasses) and I just let gravity pull me. At this point I saw the sign that said "If you would have run the Cononco Rodeo Run 10k, you would already be done." I had to smile and laugh. Runners have to have a great sense of humor. Half way there...

At mile 7, I took another Carbboom and it helped me get through the Montrose area. Again, the smell of food was killing me. Also, I knew I was approaching the point in which in my long runs I began to feel aches and pains in my right leg. Sure enough, like clockwork, my leg starting acting up. I slowed down to 8:57 for this mile. That's okay, i told myself...I have about a 30 second cushion in which I can save for the last few miles.

Mile 8 stayed consist: 8:58. I don't remember much about this mile-other then I was leaving the Heights to head back towards my part of town and Montrose, where I would be vary familar with the course and somewhat in the homestretch.

At mile 9 I overheard the dumbest thing all morning from a spectator with an LSU banner: (in a disgusted tone of voice) "Man, there are more LSU fans in New York!" I had to laugh at that. With Texas just winning the national championship, there aren't many LSU folks walking around, lol. 9:02...the Carbboom was already wearing off and it was about time to start hitting the electrolytes.

I had to slap a few kids hands and said goodbye and goodluck to the full marathoners. A couple of them were running really steady and great paces and I was bummed that I no longer had them to run with. Mile 10 was rough though. Now that my leg was hurting, I had to really start to focus. "It's just a 5k from here!" I announced to anyone who was listening. I heard a guy with a bright green hat (his name was Matt) announce to a spectator that we were running a 9:00/mile pace. "I'll take it!" We finished that mile under his projected 9:00/mile pace at 9:09.

Matt then took off, partially to shake me off (I think) and partially to get back on track (at this point, according to my pace band, there was NOOOO way he was averaging a 9:00/mile. I let him take off. I didn't need to race anyone else's race, anyhow. However, I did know that I didn't pick up the pace, and slowed down much more, there was no way I would make my goal. I knew I would have to dig deep inside, and at the point, I started feeling really sick to my stomach. Plus, the sun was starting to come up as we back towards downtown. This could be really bad, I thought. I did miss the mile 11 and 12 splits though, probably due to focusing very hard, but I figure I averaged 8:27/mile.

I don't know where I got it from, I don't know. All I could think at mile 12 is that in 10 minutes (possibly) I could be done with the race-was I going to go sub-2:00 hours? I tryed to remain calm and keep my heartrate down. The 'windtunnel' going into downtown sucked soo bad, I wanted to cry. My orange hat almost blew away and I could see everyone struggling to keep their heads up and their pace going.

The neat/not neat thing about mile 13 is that you can see that finish line...the only problem is: it seems closer then it really is. I felt everyone surge foward when they saw it. I looked at my watch and I knew if I tried to sprint now, I would not be able to hold that pace and end up with a weak finish. I was still fighting the hurting right leg, the naseua and now the taxing feeling of fighting to get negative splits to finish the race under 2:00 hours. Comeon!!! I told myself. I was fighting tears again, I wanted so badly to quit and start walking. I was tired and knew I couldn't hold on much longer. I was looking everywhere for Sam as I knew he was already done and he usually cheers me in the last half-mile of a race. I was panicking, I could tell. I didn't think I could finish alone, I needed him...anyone. Anything. 8:30.

The last tenth of a mile went by in a blur, the spectators were deafening and yet I couldn't hear them at the same time. All the other runners around me disappeared as I did my final push, including Matt who I believe I passed at the Mile 13 marker. It was just me and that finish line. I could see the clock and could tell I was going to break 2:00 hours. All I could do was not believe I was literally seconds from finishing.

And in those last 57 seconds, I did it. I DID IT. I couldn't believe it. It seemed like the other runners around me couldn't believe it either-it was so quiet and serene now, except I began hypervenilating. Everyone was asking if I was okay and I knew I was just seconds from bursting into tears or thowing up. I hurt so bad I could barely walk. I just forced myself to follow the other finishers in front of me.

I'm not sure when the reality that I finished under 2:00 hours hit me, but the second I got inside and got some water, I went as far away from everyone as possible, and cried hard for 10 minutes straight. Perhaps it's a less-known fact about me, but I hardly EVER cry and I never cry in public. Today, I didn't care.

After I got all of that out of my system, I stretched for 10 minutes before I hobbled around and met up with the other HRB's and walked to the mile 24 marker to cheer on my fellow running club members (including my Striders/SMARTies) who were finishing the Full. I even got to run-in the last mile with Strider Doug.

After it is all said and done, I got to see more of the HBR's and there were many congrats all-around as it seems almost everyone met their goals. Jon, Doug and I were close to the last people to leave the GRB convention center. They actually had to kick us out. I didn't care though. I savored in the moments as long as I could.

No doubt about it, after today: Houston Marathon 2007-here I come!!!!!!!!!!!

The STATS:
13.1 miles

1:58:39 chip time
1:59:21 clock (gun) time

ave 9:03/mile
81st in the 24-29F age group

Mile1: 9:50
Mile2: 9:07
Mile3: 9:29 (took GU)
Mile4: 9:00 (missed the split)
Mile5: 9:00
Mile6: 8:46
Mile7: 8:57 (took GU)
Mile8: 8:58
Mile9: 9:02
Mile10: 9:09
Mile11: 8:27 (missed the split)
Mile12: 8:27
Mile13: 8:30
Mile13.1: .57

Heart-rate: 185/ave. 198/max.
Weather: 57 degrees at start. Maybe 67 at my finish. low humidity and overcast.

17 Comments:

  • WTG!!! Jessica, you trained so hard. You're awesome.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Mon Jan 16, 03:14:00 AM  

  • Great job, Jessica,
    You did so well. I hope you can celebrate your race for a while before feeling the pressure to beat it.

    Rock on.
    Keith.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Mon Jan 16, 08:55:00 AM  

  • Wooooo Hoooooo!

    Steeeve

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jan 16, 09:05:00 AM  

  • Jessica, you had a phenomenal race! I'm sorry I couldn't find you before the race but you would've left me in the dust right from the start anyway. Way to go!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jan 16, 09:16:00 AM  

  • Great report. Your training has paid off. Way cool. It was good to see you yesterday.

    By Blogger Woodlands Runner, at Mon Jan 16, 09:30:00 AM  

  • Congrats, Jessica! Great race, great report. Next year, 26.2!

    By Blogger Ann (bunnygirl), at Mon Jan 16, 09:47:00 AM  

  • You gave me chills. I know the emotions you're talking about.
    Great run!
    I knew you could do it!
    I think you've just scratched the surface of what you're gonna accompish.
    Even better days are ahead.

    By Blogger equarles, at Mon Jan 16, 12:07:00 PM  

  • Jess- On the way to the GRB I told Manny I thought you'd come in under 2. I knew you could do it!! You've trained so gard- I'm really proud of you! way to go!!!!

    By Blogger Tiggs, at Mon Jan 16, 01:05:00 PM  

  • Everyone else has already said it, but I doubt you can hear it too many times -- GREAT RACE Jessica! We all knew you could do it. :)

    By Blogger Sarah, at Mon Jan 16, 01:17:00 PM  

  • Great report of a great run...I almost teared up some reading it. :)

    Sorry I wasn't there at the finish for ya, as I was still walking around in kind of a daze myself, but glad we ran into eachother before the end of the day. Awesome job. As we knew you would, you rocked the Half, girl.

    By Blogger Sam, at Mon Jan 16, 01:55:00 PM  

  • Congratulations! You finished an hour ahead of me! You make us beginner runners proud!

    By Blogger Michelle, at Mon Jan 16, 04:59:00 PM  

  • wow. you had ME crying reading that. you are an inspiration to me. here i am wondering how i am going to make it through a 10K let alone a 1/2'er next January (if not before).. i dont know that i will ever be able to run a 9:00 consistently. but then again, we CAN do anything!

    again way to go! and i simply LOVED your story!

    By Blogger Junie B, at Mon Jan 16, 06:15:00 PM  

  • Jessica -

    I'm always so amazed that you run such great races, and the way you talk yourself through them is an inspiration. Congrats on your first ever Half Marathon!!!!!! And an awesome time, too!!!!!

    :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

    By Blogger jen, at Wed Jan 18, 02:45:00 AM  

  • Damn. Your energy is just infectious and your straight up fast. Great job, and thanks a million.

    By Blogger El Oso Furioso, at Wed Jan 18, 07:31:00 PM  

  • Great going Jessica!!

    Damn, where was the LSU banner? I missed it! I'm an LSU grade!! :(

    By Blogger E, at Thu Jan 19, 06:27:00 AM  

  • OMG!!! that is an amazing race! congratulations!!! i even kinda teared up for a second (yeah i'm a little emotional this week!)... holy balls girl seriously thats fast though!

    SUPER congrats, you are gunna spank that '07 M'thon!

    By Blogger a.maria, at Thu Jan 19, 11:07:00 AM  

  • Wow, that captured it! Great run. I remember (watching from behind) that powerful surge of yours from the RTW 5K :) I had forgotten about all the kids giving us high 5's along the curb, that was neat. Way to go!

    By Blogger David, at Sat Jan 21, 02:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home