Jessica, a Houston Runner

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

1/10/06: Short Little Jaunt Around Memorial Park…

Tonight was ‘just’ a little 3.5 mile run around the Loop…I kept telling myself to stay mentally and physically relaxed and focus on running an easy and slow 9:30/mile pace…however, that was not what happened. I just couldn’t discipline myself and my mind was all over the place. There were a million people running everywhere and this made me even more anxious. And of course my legs were screaming to ‘let loose.’ (Sidenote though: it was so nice and reassuring to see Sam and Cassie!)

I ended up finishing the 2.9 mile loop (well I ran an even 3 miles) in 25.20-only 2 seconds slower then my fastest 5k. Oops, a little too crazy. I was almost disappointed that I couldn’t make this workout happen. It almost concerns me that I might get carried away with the marathon festivities and be too over-zealous when the race starts up. Again, I don’t want to go out too fast and blow the last few miles like I did in my run from 1/2/06…(went out great for the first 7 miles…slowed down 14 seconds per mile in the last 5 miles).

I guess I could blame myself for not really working on consistency in my long runs…again, I am aiming for 9:10/mile on Sunday and I just don’t feel confident that I can do this for 13.1 miles. In the end, I really just need some time alone (haha-not that I will get that this week with as crazy as things have been at work and with teaching!) to sort out my thoughts and mentally get in the game. If the race was tomorrow, I would fail miserably at this point since I can’t put my game-plan together. I think going out of town will be a good thing for me…away from other runners, the Expo, the internet:).

I hope no one thinks I am throwing the towel in or anything with the race, but I just need to get my act together mentally and be ready to race (smartly) on Sunday…please feel free to email me at stdjma14ATshsu.edu if you have any mental-preperation advice. I won’t be online much past this point until after the race so I can focus on myself…thanks for understanding and encouraging me since this whole journey into racing for me began:).

The STATS:

3.5 miles
32.09 total running

6:23 wp
8:33 mile 1
9:14 mile 2
7:54 mile 3

Heart-rate: 173/ave. 183/max.
Weather: upper 40’s.

3 Comments:

  • Jessica,
    One thing I am going to do in the next day or so is work on a spreadsheet that will tell me exactly what I want each of my mile splits to be, making sure the back half ones are negative splits. So in other words, my first 3 miles will be slowest,etc. but the total time of all the miles will add up to my goal time.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Jan 12, 01:48:00 PM  

  • At your pace you will be encouraged when at 7-8 miles you start to pass everyone else who went out too fast. On the shoes, maybe a new spenco insole would help, nothing drastic. I am adding a gel-like heel pad to my Nike Shox, although they only have 30 miles. See you at the race.

    By Blogger David, at Thu Jan 12, 06:12:00 PM  

  • yeah...what they all said. :D

    You're gonna rock the half, yourself, girl. Glad I could offer some help with the run, even just joining you for just a couple of minutes.

    See ya Sunday!!

    By Blogger Sam, at Thu Jan 12, 07:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home