Jessica, a Houston Runner

Monday, December 05, 2005

Reflections: This Year and Next...(Jon's Reader Participation)

Top Ten Events in 2005:
1) 8.4k race on 11-13-05. I ran my fastest race to date, at a blistery 8:58/mile pace. Everything was just ‘on’ that day. I felt like I could have ran 10 miles at that pace! I also got my first hardware:)
2) Loop the Lake 5k on 4-30-05. My first ever 5k, which I ran at the 9:29/mile pace. A very emotional race for me and I broke down and cried at the finish line.
3) Toughest 10k in Texas on 7-9-05. My mom saw me run my first 10k very close to my hometown. It was such a fun race and I put on a strong effort throughout.
4) Lunar Rendevous on 7-16-05. This was on my 25th birthday, which also happened to be a age-group changing year. I wrote ‘It’s my birthday’ on my shirt and that made the race fun!
5) Koala/Luke’s 10k relay on 10-16-05. I ran a strong race with my good friend Stacie to achieve an over 5 minute PR from my first 10k! Also had a 26:59 5k split!
6) 9-29-05 training run at the Polo Grounds Run. Ran slightly under 6 miles at a very relaxed pace of 10:00/mile. My legs felt so fresh and bouncy, I could have ran forever.
7) 10-25-05 XC practice run around the Allen Parkway Bayou. A 4 mile course I completed at a 9:16/mile pace. This was a tough run and I gave it my all. It took me a little while to compose myself after I finished because I was overcome with emotions.
8) 11-7-05 training run at Memorial Park. Although this run started off bad, I ‘ran into’ Speedy Sam and he helped me overcome that bad feeling and finish this run off at a 9:18/mile pace for 10 miles!
9) Early (January) 2005 training run at Memorial Park. The first time I ran the 3 mile loop at Memorial Park. I couldn’t believe I ran the entire 3 miles without walking once!
10) Watching the 2005 Houston Marathon at mile 18. This was my inspiration for wanting to run the Marathon and has catapulted me to where I am today!

My inspiration for 2005:
My running coaches inspire me. To see them achieve their goals propels me to want to achieve mine. My Marathon running mates inspire me too. We all suffered through the disgusting summer to get ready for the single most important date of the year: the actual marathon. And finally, I inspire myself. I know that sounds self-centered. However, I like looking back on where I started this year and realizing all my hard work is paying off. Just think where I can be this time next year…

Goals for 2006:
1) First and foremost-successfully complete the Houston Half. Regardless of how fast I run it, I want to feel good about my efforts and come away with a great sense of accomplishment.
2) Participate in Spring PIM. I doubt I will be able to move up groups, but I would like to be a stronger runner in the GU group. Plus I really like the GU coaches!
3) Complete enough races via HARRA to qualify for a Spring Iron Foot award.
4) Begin Tri training and paraticipate in Andy’s First Tri next Fall.
5) Complete the Texas 10k challenge. (Participate in 5 designated 10k’s thoughout the year and state).Successfully partipate in Marathon Warmup Series to get ready for the 2007 Houston MARATHON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (10 miler, 20k, 25k, 30k. Qualifys me for the Fall Iron Foot Award, too).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home