Jessica, a Houston Runner

Friday, December 09, 2005

12/8/05: My best 5k time yet…can I do it again on Race day?

So tonight (after I finally convinved myself to get over the COLDDDDDDDDD as sin weather and go run outside like a REAL runner), became the canvas for my best 5k time yet: 26:00!!!! The funny thing is I wasen’t even pushing myself as hard as I think I could go, but I didn’t want to overdo it before Saturday’s race. The cold definetely helped though, although I was overdressed (on purpose just because I could). I was wearing my newest running tights (my mom got them for me), my crew-cut Brooks socks, my newest Brooks long-sleeve shirt (what can I say, I'm a Brooks wanna-be endorser!) over my Starter long-sleeve tech shirt and my running jacket over that. Then I had my cotton gloves and an ear-warmer headband thing-again I felt great and entirely like I belonged out there wearing my silly tights:)

After a slooow warmup mile, I hit the first mile at 8:46. I actually suprized myself since I figured I was running closer to an 8:30 mile. In the second mile I could tell my legs were finally warming up, but I pushed myself a little to attempt a negative split and clocked it at 8:44. Very consistent so I wasn’t displeased. Mile 3 I knew was where ‘the money is won’ and I wanted a big negative split.

I came up quickly on a guy I thought I was running my pace…I slowed down as I came behind him and must have startled him so he slowed down too. Screw that, I thought. I quickly picked up the pace and dusted him. As I finished the mile at 8:27, I silently thanked him for helping me achieve my goal. With .10 of a mile to go, I tried to pick it again, but I left all my ‘go’ at mile 3. I ended with a slow .53 seconds. Ah well.

I saw Sam after my cool-down ‘victory mile’-I felt so good for running so strong and enduring the weather with a total of 10 other runners. I wanted to tell him about my run but he looked like he was a little chilly in his shorts and NO gloves! so I let him run off (I wish I would have gave him mine!). Overall, I was really pleased with my efforts and although my left achiles is sore today, I think I am in good shape for Saturday. I hope I can do it again and continue to train in the mid-8:00’s on shorter runs and lower-9:00’s for my longer runs. Sweet!

The STATS:

5 miles
48:29 total running

1 mile wu: 13:23
1 mile cd: 8:13

mile1: 8:46
mile2: 8:44
mile3: 8:27
mile.10: .53

Heart-rate: 172 av/187 max
Weather: COLD and WINDY but dry!!!!!!!! Mid 30’s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home