Jessica, a Houston Runner

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

12/27/05: A Long Distance run from sunny Las Vegas!

Despite being on vacation, lol, I got in some miles today in/near the new subdivision that my family lives in (North Las Vegas, actually). The area of Vegas they are in is so new it won't be found on many maps, incluing G-Maps. That is just to prove that Las Vegas is one of the quickest growing areas of the US (actually, it may be THE FASTEST growing city in the US, period). It's so crazy-mile after mile after mile after mile after mile after mile after mile after mile of tract homes. I'm not exagerating either, too bad I didn't take any pictures.

It made for a really really boring and unscenic distance run. I ended up doing three 3.5 mile loops (probably my first mistake, but there is so much construction around that there isn't really a lot of room to explore the roads safely) and another 2.5 mile jaunt as a cooldown. Wow, not to mention that I am running in the freakin' desert-where the humidity is like 5-15% and even at 9 in the morning, the temp. is already creaping into 60 degrees (mistake #2: thinking I could run here like I can in Humid Houston-NO!) I ended up only bringing 10 oz. of water for a 13 mile run. Opps. I actually stopped at a few strange peoples water hose's to refill. And I didn't bring Gatorade with me either but I did find these Sports Beans at the store prior to my run and they did the trick. 120mg of electrolytes in a few sugary Jelly Belly beans! I love it! Hope I can find these in Houston again-this may be a fun 'treat' to pack in my Camelbak for the Half!

Overall, I was just really glad I got the miles in and am very thankful I don't live or train in the desert and that Vegas can be really overrated from an athelete's standpoint. Unless you like miles of dirt and sand. And cactus and dust. No thanks, i'll take Houston's year-round heat and high humidity anyday. Not to mention everyone has grass here!!!!!!!!

The STATS:
ave 9:37/mile

13 miles
2:05.01 total running

3.5 mile loop1: 33:00
3.5 mile loop2: 33:39
3.5 mile loop3: 33:25
2.5 mile cd: 25:01

Heart-rate: 176 av/215 max
Weather: lower 60's, sunny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home