Jessica, a Houston Runner

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

12/19/05: A Successful 15 Miler Completed, Bring on the 13.1!!!!

For some reason, I usually dread long training runs and I am not really sure why. Tonight was different though for some reason…I felt like I had a sense of purpose, a longing to feel good about my longest run yet…and to be successful in the end. I did it all. I completed this run not only with a great feeling of accomplishment, but the KNOWING that I could have ran another few miles at my finishing pace. Granted, I ran the first half of the 15 miles faster then the second half, but I felt good at the end. Yes, my calves tightened up at around mile 7 so basically I slowed down about 15 seconds/mile. That is something I am concerned about with the Half. I felt that my pace through mile 7 (9:14/mile) felt soooo good, so it really disappointed me to slow down 15 whole seconds and not be able to get back ‘on pace.’ I was too afraid to stop and stretch so I tried to run through it. Was that bad? I am just a ‘stop-and-go’ runner. I don’t like stopping if I can help it.

The only other thing I can think is that my leg cramped either due to not stretching enough before I ran (possibly) or not enough sodium in my diet for the day (also a good possibility…I remember eating a lot of sugar and not enough salty foods). I also didn’t drink water while I was on this run (bad I know!) as I was only carrying orange Gatorade in my fuel belt (yes, I need to start drinking the lemon-lime stuff since that’s what they will have that the Half). Or perhaps weak hamstrings/quads? Hmm, I guess I will just have to figure it out soon. Another uncertainity is how many GU’s to take: one or two? I vote two since I usually like to take one around mile 4 and then another full one at mile 8. Anyone ran a half and used GU and care to comment?

I was reading some of Runner's World this month though (http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-51-0-0-9216,00.html)
and that article really hit home. Although there isn’t a lot that I can physically do to change how I will race in a few short weeks, I can start to rethink the ways I do some things to make next year a prosperous running year…I realize now I have made some naïve and ‘new runner’ mistakes in my training, but I am trying to learn from them and train not HARDER but SMARTER next year. MOST importantly I want to stay injury-free but I also want to continue training like I have this year-with a purpose and to challenge myself mentally and phsyically. I only hope that upping my mileage another 10 miles in the off-season and the 10 more (after that) during Marathon season won’t burn-me out.

It almost seems like I have two goals: one is to simply finish the Marathon, another is to race it strongly. Maybe I am getting ahead of myself, worrying this far in the future and wanting to ‘race’ a distance I have yet to finish? I just feel that starting to mentally prepare myself for the big DAY will make me more successful. After all, I did the same thing with the Half…I had been thinking about running it since August of 2004 when my longest distance to that date had only been 2 miles. Now tonight I finished 15 miles! 11 more to go to complete an entire Marathon:) Now I am the first to believe anything is possible, as long as you are willing to put your heart and soul into it.

The STATS:
15 miles!

2:22:29 total running
ave 9:29/mile

Mile1: 9:38 (legs felt stiff)
Mile2: 9:07
Mile3: 9:18
Mile4: 9:07 (took GU)
Mile5: 8:54 (too fast-stupid GU!)
Mile6: 9:26
Mile7: 9:06
Mile8: 9:50 (right leg cramped up)
Mile9: 9:53 (took GU)
Mile10: 9:25
Mile11: 9:43
Mile12: 9:54
Mile13: 9:28
Mile14: 10:04 (someone strangle me)
Mile15: 9:30

Heart-rate: 171 av/217 max
Weather: cool, lower 40’s, upper 30’s.

9 Comments:

  • Great run Jessica! You are going to run a kick-ass half marathon. Just think -- a couple months ago you were talking about running it with me at my pace. Yeah right! :)

    On the Gu thing -- I didn't use Gu in my first two half marathons, nor do I train with it. I did use it while training and doing the marathon though. I think the half is my limit -- don't use it below, use it for distances above. But that's me. 4 and 8 miles sound ok. If it were me, I might put it off to more like 5 and 10. During the marathon I tried to do one every hour.

    By Blogger Sarah, at Wed Dec 21, 11:05:00 AM  

  • really great run- you are going to do very well at the Half. You are a great motivation for me- I want to be able to catch you someday.

    A 10:04 pace at mile 14- come on, nothing bad about that!

    As for GU, I took one at mile 9 of the half. This year I will either take 2- one at 5 and one at 10 or only take one at mile 10. I get a quick kick, but it dies fast too, so mile 9 was too early to take it last year. I ran like a champ for 3 miles after I took it and then had a major sugar crash!

    I took one at mile 21 of the full- I didn't need it (i ate gummy bears long the way), but I was looking for distraction from my legs killing me!
    Just go w/ what feels right for you :)

    By Blogger Tiggs, at Wed Dec 21, 11:59:00 AM  

  • Great Run Jessica your definitely going to do well at the half.

    Thanks for the article, I just read it and realized I've made some of the mistakes he talks about. Next year, I will be better educated!

    By Blogger Steve Bezner, at Wed Dec 21, 01:02:00 PM  

  • Great run Jessica. No worries about the half for you. You'll do great.
    Nice mile split for mile 15 after that crappy one for mile 14. Very nice.

    By Blogger equarles, at Wed Dec 21, 04:32:00 PM  

  • I agree - great run!! And thanks for that great article. :)

    By Blogger jen, at Wed Dec 21, 05:49:00 PM  

  • Jessica,
    Great run. Your Half plan sounds good, and I'm looking forward to cheering you through the final stretch. I'm no expert on GU, as I've never had it myself.
    I'm in total agreement w/you that anything is possible, as long as you're willing to put yourself into it.
    Hope to see you out running soon! Take care!
    Sam

    By Blogger Sam, at Fri Dec 23, 01:30:00 PM  

  • You are quick! I'm still experimenting with the on-the-go fuels myself, I've tried gummi bears, but I really liked the peanut butter flavored gel stuff they were handing out at the Houstonian Lite 30K. Also, I tried substituting lemonade for Gatorade, but still think the high carb drinks like Gatorade are the best. Plus, I often get by on 6 hours sleep, but my goal for the Marathon is 2-3 days of 7-8 hours sleep before the run...I think I'll need it.

    By Blogger David, at Sun Dec 25, 04:58:00 PM  

  • you and holden need to post something one day soon.

    By Blogger equarles, at Sun Jan 01, 08:12:00 PM  

  • tehe, i'm working on it!

    By Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete, at Mon Jan 02, 01:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home