Jessica, a Houston Runner

Monday, December 19, 2005

12/15/05: Speedwork at the Park-Good Times!

So after slowly running through yesterday’s Striders run, today I was determined to raise up to my running potential for my usual Thursday speed workout: 1 mile warmup, 5k at race pace, 1 mile cooldown. So much fun when it is cool outside, that’s for sure. Although there is still slight tenderness in my lower knees, I stretched really well and after my warmup, knew I was ready.

The first mile, 8:41, went off like I had planned: solid, smart and quick. Mile 2 found a strange problem—I was really hungry. I did not eat like I should have today so I knew it was going to catch up with me. Actually, I haven’t been eating very well at all lately, lots of junk food and not enough fresh veggies/fruits and all that good healthy stuff. Anyhow, I pushed through the hunger pains, and achieved a nice negative split: 8:24!

Mile 3 was the hardest, just because I was running on fumes and would have killed for a Jolly Rancher or some gummi bears or even a cracker! Lol, determined and not wanting to get passed by anyone, I ran a nice 8:13. The final 1/10 of a mile found me spent, as I think I could have ran it a little faster if I would have picked up my feet more, but I finished in .45 seconds. Not too BAD!! Overall-26:03!

I’m glad to see I am consistently running in the ‘8’s’ now and after talking to Coach Steve the previous day, I know that this is what I can do CONSISTENLY. He said there’s no reason that all my long runs shouldn’t be in the ‘9’s’ now. He also said that because he thinks I have some natural running talent, I will probably be running 7 minute miles comfortably next year. Yes, as foreign is that sounds RIGHT NOW, I also never thought I would be running 8 minute miles this year either! It is a great feeling to know he is rooting for me:) I am quite certain that early next year (but probably AFTER the Half Marathon, maybe March?) I will go sub-25:00 in a 5k! Last milestone for my half-training this year-the 15 mile run, TONIGHT! I will let you all know how it goes!

The STATS:
5 miles

44:20 total running
26:03 5k!

9:53 wu
8:22 cd

8:41 mile 1
8:24 mile 2
8:13 mile 3
.45 mile .10

Heart-rate: 173 av/195 max
Weather: cool, lower 40’s.

10 Comments:

  • Ah, to have natural running talent. I think you do, just based on how quickly I've seen your times go down.

    I've been running for 4 years (training pretty religiously at a couple points during that 4 years) and still find it difficult to do consisent 10:00 miles. Natural running talent must be nice! :)

    By Blogger Sarah, at Mon Dec 19, 11:22:00 AM  

  • Jessica, you're on your way to being one of the top female runners in Htown! :)

    By Blogger jen, at Mon Dec 19, 11:45:00 AM  

  • you guys are too nice! :)

    the real 'treat' in my training this last half of the year is that i actually have not trained to the full potential I know I can do. (ie: not doing enough tempo runs, CORE, 180x180s, etc). Just imagine what I could do if I had! I expect my expectations (lol) to go up much more next year as I begin to train for the Full.

    I suppose I can say (with little backlash from The Coaches, I hope) that is when the 'real training' will begin.

    By Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete, at Mon Dec 19, 12:25:00 PM  

  • You mentioned negative splits "due to rain"! It is amazing what the cold wet stuff will make you do!

    You should be glad that you weren't out there Saturday morning BUT ... it could be that way on marathon day as well. That is why last fall I was glad that I had a half marathon that I had to run in a downpour ... I knew that I was then prepared for anything.

    By Blogger WalkSports.com, at Mon Dec 19, 01:24:00 PM  

  • Hey Jessica! I would love to run with you for the half. It seems lately that everyone in my running group is either much faster than me or...well, they don't run faster than me...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Dec 19, 05:13:00 PM  

  • I should edit that to say I know you'll finish ahead of me, but I'd love to run with you as long as I can keep up!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Dec 19, 09:52:00 PM  

  • Strong, real strong. Way to go!

    By Blogger El Oso Furioso, at Mon Dec 19, 11:35:00 PM  

  • Way to push it. Your on your way to elite status...stay strong, stay healthy, keep it up!

    By Blogger David, at Tue Dec 20, 07:55:00 AM  

  • holy fast batman!! thats a little crazy. 7 minute miles sounds insane? 8 minute...*9* minute miles sound insane in these ears!

    you on fire chica. that damn impressive!

    By Blogger a.maria, at Tue Dec 20, 05:28:00 PM  

  • Awesome run! I'm anxious to read about your 15 miler.

    Shall we call you "The Natural!!"

    Keep up the good work, it's already paying off! WTG!

    RunSteve

    By Blogger Steve Bezner, at Tue Dec 20, 09:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home