Jessica, a Houston Runner

Monday, December 12, 2005

12/11/05: Post 30k, Jingle Bell Run, and Post Saturday Entry…

Today was the 30k, I got to work the water station (okay, after I found it 30 minutes later!) with other Striders and had a great time. This was the first time I got to volunteer for a race and may I add I will be doing it again in the future. Yes, it is fun seeing the entire race crowd (some really funny runners, not to mention some hot guys!!! and others who threw clothes at us to hold on to) but it was also hard work (I would much rather RUN on that conrete then STAND on it in one place for 5 hours!) Overall, I would recommend volunteering to anyone and it was especially a treat to chat with John Yoder and pick his brain on running a little as well as see Santos, who gave me some yummy Carbboom! Thank you! Also, a quick shoutout to all the Bloggers that ran today: Jon, Holden, Joe, Tim, Jen, Dave, and Steve. It was a tough run, so I commend you all.

After I got home at noon, I had enough time to make myself a carb-chocked lunch as I decided it would be really ‘fun’ to run from Memorial Park to the start of the Jingle Bell Run downtown to see Jon, Cassie, Keith, Sam, Waverly and Lisa run the 5 mile race. (Round trip=9 miles, and I would take on another 5 miles by circling around the Park loop 1.5 times for a total of 14 miles for the day). In theory, a great run, but my legs weren’t totally recovered from Saturday’s efforts yet, so I was putting myself at risk for injury. It was a cool feeling to run into downtown though, and I got to see all the runners at about mile 3, get yelled at by some lady for ‘running the race the wrong way’ as well as catch the beginning of the kids run and the first finishers of the actual race. Of course, crazy Jon was running with a cutout (a lifesize cardboard cutout!) of Penn State’s head football coach Joe Paterno and a football. LOL! That alone made my trip to downtown via foot worth it. And of course, Jon is crazy already as he ran the 30k early today as well! 23 miles in one day! Way to go Jon! It was a great race to watch as there were some really fun and spirited people there and also nice to meet Lisa (again?!)

The run back was the tough part as lactic acid was already settling into my legs. Cassie and Lisa offered me a ride back but the weather was too pretty to pass up and it wasn’t quite dusk yet so there was about an hour of sunlight left. I felt safe as there are always at least 10 other runners along Memorial Drive/Allen Parkway so I had plenty of company. The toughest part was finishing the last 4 miles at the Park Loop, as my legs were shot and any energy I had left I must have left cheering for my friends at the finish line at the 5 miler downtown. I ended up having to stretch every mile and stop my watch because I was in so much pain. The day after (the real today-Monday) I feel ‘ok’ although I am kinda hobbling around. Nothing is injured or damaged, thank goodness, but my hamstrings/quads are pretty hammered. I’m going to take it real easy this week--I only have planned two ‘easy’ 4 mile runs and then some speedwork on Thursday before I go out of town for the weekend. Then, next Monday (ahh! I hate long runs on Mondays!) I have my longest run yet and of the season-15 miles!

In other running related news, as I failed to mention this yesterday, we had the first ‘unoffical/official’ meeting of the Houston Running Bloggers at none-other then ‘Chateau de Walk’s’ house. It was a great time for all in attendance and the hospitality was great. We were able to chat about a club shirt, club events, and even a mission statement (and no blogger is left behind!:)) A big public ‘thank you’ to Jon and his family for the great post-race eats and great conversations about our favorite sport-running. Yes, I did take pictures and they will be up soon. (and yes, I think Keith thinks I have it out for him or something, as every picture I took of him is really a riot!)

The STATS:
10:10/ave mile

14 miles
2:22.30 total running

Heart-rate: 174av/187 max
Weather: cool. Mid 50’s.

4 Comments:

  • Wow- 14 miles at 10:10 pace, ouch. Nice run.

    By Blogger David, at Mon Dec 12, 01:46:00 PM  

  • Sounds like you earned those running shoes yesterday. You deserve an easy week.

    Rock on!
    Keith.

    I can't do the word verification thing. This is my third try!

    By Blogger Unknown, at Mon Dec 12, 08:35:00 PM  

  • Great to see you at the Jingle Bell Run! Take care of that body, girl...you still got a month's worth of training.

    Thanks for coming out and cheering us on. I'm going to have to try that volunteering thing as well..never done it. Sounds fun!

    Sam

    By Blogger Sam, at Mon Dec 12, 09:13:00 PM  

  • I emailed you earlier in the week, but not sure if I sent it to the right email. Or maybe I didn't send it? Heck if I know. I'm just glad to be off for the next two weeks.

    By Blogger equarles, at Fri Dec 16, 10:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home