Jessica, a Houston Runner

Sunday, December 11, 2005

12/10/05: A New 5k PR today!!!!!!!!

Today, RTW #143, was a big PR for me and many other bloggers in attendence. Who was there? Edwin, who came in at a nice and fast 19:52(PR), Dave Smart, who ran right next to me the first 2 miles and finished in 25:32(PR), Keith, the man of action himself, who finished in 27:52 (after running 1o miles before the rest of us even got there!), Cassie, who ran her best 5k since her injuries in 28:17, Mr Jon himself lost by ONE second to her at 28:18 (but a PR!), 28:56 belongs to Joe (yes, he does exist!), Sarah finished strong at 31:23 and Jen Kim took it easy in prep for tomorrow's 30k at 33:06. And a final PR-Waverly Walk finished at 37:12! I have never seen such a big smile on her face today--how cool! (also in attendence: Steve and Holden who rested up for tomorrow's race).

Myself? A HUGE PR since my last 5k (RTW#136) and a 42 second improvement over the 5k run I did Thursday night! This means that in less then a year, I have shaved 4:07 off my first 5k! Wow...again, it's hard to believe how training hard and training smart and (in general) training can make a difference! I don't know how I did it, ran so hard and fast I mean, knowing I was a little tired from Thursday's training run and I didn't get much sleep to boot (bad, I know!) You can see bags under my eyes at the picture here (that's me in the orange hat). Just think what I could have done under ideal conditions...

I would like to thank Dave (Smart) and Erin Miller (of the Woodlands HS) for pushing me to my best race to date and negative splits. I would like to thank Mother Nature for the wonderful weather. I would like to thank the Striders (and coaches!) for the awesome training this year. And I would like to thank my body for staying injury free. Rockit! See you all tomorrow at the Strider's Water Station (i'll be working the water and trying to stay dry, lol). Say hi if you notice the dumb orange hat.

The STATS:
8:08/ave mile

3.1 miles
25:18 total running

mile1: 8:35
mile2: 8:12
mile3: 7:50 (ouch!)
mile.10: .45

Heart-rate: 182av/200 max
Weather: cool. maybe mid 40's. perfect shorts & gloves weather!

5 Comments:

  • Congrats on your PR! and thanks for pacing me to a PR too. All your hard work is paying off...or could it have something to do with that orange hat?

    By Blogger David, at Sun Dec 11, 06:06:00 PM  

  • I remember the day (Lunar Rendezvous Run) that I could keep you in my sight!

    Jessica, you're doing great! I'm real proud of you.

    It was good to see you today both at the 30K and then downtown at the Jingle Bell Run.

    I knew you all didn't think I'd run with JoePa! It was my day to have some fun!

    Jon

    By Blogger WalkSports.com, at Sun Dec 11, 09:12:00 PM  

  • What a run you had yesterday!! Congrats on the new PR. Must've been something in the air for us to all have had such good runs!

    By Blogger Sarah, at Sun Dec 11, 10:27:00 PM  

  • great run yesterday. congrats on the PR. now what was it you were you gonna tell me when I told you I teach Journalism?

    By Blogger equarles, at Sun Dec 11, 10:45:00 PM  

  • congrats and wya to go Jessica- you're going to kick butt at the Half!

    By Blogger Tiggs, at Mon Dec 12, 12:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home