Jessica, a Houston Runner

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

11/7/05: The most fun a distance run can be!

Tonight’s run actually was off to a bad start. I forgot my GU, fuel belt, hat, contacts…lol. I was a mess. Once I started running though, as usual, I felt a little better about the stress of the day. However, due to eating a HUGEEEEEE and greasy lunch, I ended up feeling really sick to my stomach at mile 4. To the point where I almost wanted to stop running and just sit down. Why is it I always try to eat a big lunch to try to give me energy for my PM runs? Maybe this is a sign I need to start running first thing in the morning, so I can eat a ‘normal’ lunch (or even a slightly greasy lunch) and a smaller but ‘normal’ dinner…

Anyhow, around mile 5, as I was dragging my feet and about the end my run for the night, I had a savior in the form of Sam. He came up (quickly) from behind me and said ‘hey aren’t you Jessica?’ I smiled weakly and told him I was dying inside and asked him to run with me for a few minutes. My energy instantly picked up. We talked about everything it seemed. I told him after a few miles that he could leave me if he wanted, as I felt like I was holding him back, but after I/we pulled off a 8:30/mile without really thinking about it, I told him: ‘Let’s just push it to the end and run a few more miles.’

Those were the fastest 5 miles of my life, seriously. We ended up averaging about 9:01/mile, which is my fastest distance and training pace ever (overall was a 9:18/mile). Honestly, it felt great. Yes, I am still sore (and Sam told me he didn’t want to hear me complain of injuries later!) but other then that, it was good fun. The last mile (well, probably .8 of a mile) we burned at a 7:17/mile! Wow, that was FUN! Sam said I kept a good form, although we finished to the corner of Memorial Dr. and I instantly wanted to fall over, lol.

This run made me realize that everything Coach Steeeeeve has been saying to me is true (like I didn’t believe him!, I did!)—I CAN push myself more. I should demand more of my running ALL the time. And it helps having a super fast partner to train with! :) Thanks again Sam, this is one run I will never forget. We’ll have to do it again some other time, if you don’t mind!

The STATS:
10 miles

Mile1: 9:56
Mile2: 9:54
Mile3: 10:02
Mile4: 9:14
Mile5: 10:22
Mile6: 9:52
Mile7: 8:30
Mile8: 9:01
Mile9: 9:12
Mile10: 7:17 (about .8 mile)

1:33 hours total running
ave 9:18/mile

Heart-rate: 163/ave 228/max
Weather: SOO humid (90%), low 80’s.

2 Comments:

  • Jessica,
    It's great to hear (read) that I was able to help turn your run around. One of those things that almost makes us realize that how we feel about things is often just in our heads, huh?
    I hope we can get another run in together some time. I saw you last night (Thursday, 11/10) out at Memorial, but you were going the other direction and looked pretty focused...didn't want to distract ya.
    Anyway, have a great run, and I'll see ya at the 8.4k!
    Sam

    By Blogger Sam, at Fri Nov 11, 08:10:00 AM  

  • haha, thanks Sam--you really helped so much!
    i was kind of in a bad mood last night...i'll elaborate more later.
    -jessica

    By Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete, at Fri Nov 11, 08:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home