Jessica, a Houston Runner

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

11/28/05: This is it: 13 Miles in the Can!!

I did it tonight! I did it tonight! Of course, I never doubted I COULDN’T do it, but to run 13 miles straight, slightly under a Half-Marathon distance (yeah, I didn’t run the extra .1 mile!), I felt great! The coldness erally helps too. It was nice and chilly, that’s for sure--just the way I hope it is in January. Although I ended up lugging my jacket with me the entire run around my waist (I need to get a long sleeve tech-top), I felt pretty warm in a simple singlet, shorts and some gloves. The gloves make all the difference in the world. I would like to buy a headband too so I can use that instead of a hat for my ears.

The run was pretty uneventful, although I think I saw Sam and if it wasen’t him, I was waving to some strange guy and he was waving back:) I did get some weird chafing on my arms though from the cold I am guessing so I know I need to use more Body Glide. Also, Clif gel’s make my stomach hurt, I need to stick to Carb Boom. <--Does Fleet Feet sell it, anyone? It did get pretty lonely though, and by 9pm, there were only about 20 other runners making their rounds around the loop. Bad for safety’s sake, I know. However, I did see more cops then usual, as well as a news crew filming a segment.

Overall, I feel confident about where my running is going and how I am going to run the Half (pace-wise) in January. If I can maintain a 9:30/mile pace or better, I definelty will be happy with my efforts. However, If I can maintain a 9:20/mile pace or better, there is a VERYYYYY good chance I can finish in 2 hours flat. WOW. I remember the first time I ran 10 miles and it took me 2 hours to run it…things are looking good and getting better! I just need to stay positive through these long runs and during the tough and busy month of December. After that…!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One last thing, I decided last-minute I am going to run the Pearland 10 Miler this weekend with Jon Walk. I want to run it as close to how I will run the Half as possible. Although the 12.4 mile run at Huntsville State Park the SMARTies are doing sound like fun and I love running at that Park, I need to run a race close to ideal to the Half conditions…wish me luck--this is my longest race to date!

The STATS:
13 miles

2:01:34 total running
ave 9:21/mile

mile1:9:18
mile2: 9:43
mile3: 9:10
mile4: 8:58
mile5: 9:30
mile6: 9:03
mile7: 9:24
mile8: 9:37
mile9: 9:19
mile10: 9:05
mile11: 9:45
mile12: 9:06
mile13: 9:19

Heart-rate: 168 ave/184 max
Weather: lower 50’s, upper 40’s.

6 Comments:

  • Congrats! Sounds like a great run!

    You will do great in the Houston half marathon!

    RunSteve.Com

    By Blogger Steve Bezner, at Wed Nov 30, 08:18:00 AM  

  • Jessica,

    The Striders have tons of Carboom left over from the 20k, we were handing it out at the Tour de Memorial. We'll have it at the Longest Long Run as well, or you can coordinate with Santos Hernandez.

    Steeeve

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Nov 30, 10:07:00 AM  

  • What a great post on an inspiring run for you. Keep up the great work, and it will definitely pay off in the end.

    I like you're focus on staying positive...I've been taught that riding that emotional rollercoaster can be dangerous to success in anything. Hope to see you out there again soon!

    By Blogger Sam, at Wed Nov 30, 10:26:00 AM  

  • Awesome run!

    By Blogger Sarah, at Wed Nov 30, 03:18:00 PM  

  • i think I saw you and Sam both. Great splits- you're doing really well Jess.

    By Blogger Tiggs, at Wed Nov 30, 07:12:00 PM  

  • Nice long run. Are you saving the .1 for raceday?

    Rock on.
    Keith.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Wed Nov 30, 08:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home