Jessica, a Houston Runner

Sunday, November 27, 2005

11/24/05: A Very Hilly Run Complete with Dogs at My Real Home…

This weekend at my parents house was a great thing for me. It was nice to get away from the flatness and humidity of the Gulf and back to the hilly and dry air of Central Texas. DID I MENTION HILLY! Lol, check THIS LINK out if you don’t believe me. I had forgotten how hilly it was, and running in my old neighborhood sure quickly brought back those sore calves I would get walking to school every day…Thursday evening after a rather small meal of mash potatoes (I made them!), cornbread, sweet potatoe pie and a little bit of turkey, I got in a 4 mile trek before it got pitch-black outside. The weather felt just right…but the fact the air was sooo dry to me made my breathing a little off. In fact, about 50% of the run, I felt like I was ‘sucking air.’ Lol, it could have been the hills. Or the fact I got chased by 3 different dogs!!!!!!!!

You read that right, people can be so back-woods where my family lives (on the edge of town) that they don’t chain up their dumb dogs. And these weren’t little dogs either. The first dog came to about my shins. I shooed him away by kicking some rocks near it. The second dog was barking quite a bit and followed me about a block or so but was more interested in someone’s water sprinkler. But it was the third dog that scared me the most…he came up to about my knees and he came up on my feet soo quick I didn’t have time to react to him. He ran closely beside me and was wildily barking and flashing his teeth. All I had time to do was forcefully yell “GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME!!” as loud as I could and speed up. I must have scared him somehow, and he ran off, disinterested. I was pretty scared myself though, as I have never been chased by a dog in my life, so I don’t even know if I did the right thing.

Overall, despite the dogs, and the hills that never seemed to end, this run was great. It was good to get in some awesome hills and take advantage of some great fall weather. Saturday I intent to run the same route, only leaving out some hills to make the route a mile shorter. (But, still difficult…after all, my parents live in a valley, so NO MATTER where I run, it’s going to be Uphill, lol).

The STATS:
4 miles

37:25 total running
ave 9:21/mile

Heart-rate: 172 ave/188 max
Weather: Low humidity, upper 50’s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home