Jessica, a Houston Runner

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

11/22/05: SMARTie Tuesday: Back in Business!

After a discouraging 12 miler on Saturday, I took a few days off to clear my mind, refocus some positive energy into my running, and get a little antsy about putting my running shoes on again:) I was actually kind of grumpy not running for 3 days, lol, a bad sign, I know.

This workout was great though, I was finally able to partake in 180/180’s (where you run 180 seconds at 5k pace, then a recovery jog for 180 seconds). These were something I never thought I was going to be able to do at one point, lol! I guess that proves where my fitness level is going, and how much stronger my body is finally getting.

I ran with Strider Amy as she is recovering from shin splints (yikes, I know) so I was mostly able to keep up with her today. (She usually breezes right past me on most workouts). It was so fun to have someone to chat with as we did our workout. I don’t remember what we talked about, but that’s besides the point. The workout flew by and before we knew it we were done and both felt great about our efforts!

Not sure what the rest of the week has in store, running wise, as I will be at my parent’s home in Copperas Cove, but I G-Mapped two slightly different 3 mile and 4 mile courses since the local Turkey Trot was LAST weekend (was is THAT all about?!) and I’m not sure if Ft. Hood is going to hold one this year (I use to partipate in it when I was in grade school! I still have the certificates from them, I think!) And believe it or not, that could be seen as the start of my interest in walking/running for fitness…

Anyhow, have a great Thanksgiving all. I’ll be back online late Sunday night. Don’t eat too much and I can’t wait to hear about all the trotting going on! Oh yeah, SEVEN more weeks til the MARATHON!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!

The STATS:6 miles
58:00 total running

24:00 2.5 mile wu
7:00 .5 mile cd

27:00 3 miles 180/180’s
ave 9:00/mile

Heart-rate: n/a
Weather: lower 50’s at start, upper 40’s at end. (brrr!)

5 Comments:

  • Jessica,

    5 x 180/180 is without a doubt Owen Anderson's favorite workout. He prescribes it for everything from 800's to ultras! We do a bunch of them in SMART. They're a tough workout but good for you :-)

    Cheers, Steeeve

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Nov 23, 04:34:00 PM  

  • Way to go with the G-Map, I used that on the SueandPaul website...the map you printed should remind you to run once or twice over the holidays-- a good antidote to too much turkey. I'll try that 180's workout sometime...seems like forever (about 2 mos) since I've tried any speed work or hill work. -Happy Thanksgiving.

    By Blogger David, at Wed Nov 23, 06:00:00 PM  

  • I'm nuts. I prefer the sidewalks. To me, it feels better (although I can't explain why).

    Have a good Thanksgiving!

    By Blogger E, at Wed Nov 23, 06:17:00 PM  

  • Happy Turkey Day! Gobble.

    By Blogger jen, at Thu Nov 24, 01:03:00 PM  

  • hey happy thanksgiving!! enjoy that texas weather... there was a windchill of 17* this morning up here!

    yowch

    By Blogger a.maria, at Fri Nov 25, 12:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home