Jessica, a Houston Runner

Sunday, November 20, 2005

11/19/05: 12 Miles of HELL, aka WHY YOU SHOULD NOT DO ANY SIDEWALK RUNNING…

Needless to say, I hope the heading for this journal entry gives away the agony of my run (if you can call it running that I was doing) and I hope you take away something from MY ignorance. (A teaching moment, if you will...) But, although I felt slow and sluggish after mile four of this run, I finished with a respectable 10:13/mile pace. Amazing, considering I felt horrible no matter how much water/gatorade/or GU I had.

The 12 mile run route was one I have done before, from my house, to SMART-is that 80% of this run is on sidewalks aka concrete. Lynnlee was cringing-she reminded me it’s the worst surface to run on and that she originally hurt her knees when she trained for her first Marathon exclusively on sidewalks.

Problem banished-NO MORE SIDEWALKS FOR ME EVER AGAIN.

I feel like an idiot for not realizing earlier that this route is hurting me sooo much. I mean, I FINALLY put two-and-two together after talking to her: Every long run I have done from my house has resulted in sore knees and lower back. I can’t blame it on the increased mileage because I have ran upwards of 11 miles at the Park loop (yum, crushed granite!) and not expierenced these sore issues. AHA. Makes sense. This all just means I will have to come up with some new NON-sidewalk long distance running routes over Thanksgiving. Should be fun actually, as I can get away from the yucky traffic and smog of Woodway and 610. I hate learning the hard way though with running! :(

The STATS:
12 miles

2:01:55 total running
ave 10:13/mile

Heart-rate: ?????
Weather: lower 50’s. Nice.

1 Comments:

  • Hey Kiddo,

    Everybody needs to do one sidewalk run; how else would you well and truly understand not to do it?

    Thought it would be cool to run from the Law Week 5k to home, about 20 miles on Memorial. It most decidedly was not, won't be doing that again anytime soon.

    Cheers, Steeeve

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Nov 23, 04:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home