Jessica, a Houston Runner

Friday, November 18, 2005

11/17/05: Weekly Thursday 5k Run…

Tonight was officially the coldest night of Houston Marathon-training season. I believe when I started running it was in the low 40’s. I think by the time I finished, it was in the upper 30’s. So, give me credit here, no matter where you live: that is considered cold. Like bring out the tights, put on the gloves, and wear a headband. Of course, I wanted to be hardcore--I ran in a singlet and shorts. And ended up with frozen hands/fingers. Dumb me for forgetting my gloves, now I know…

Anyhow, I started out with a slow one mile warm-up, just to make sure I could handle the weather. I immediately could tell the weather was going to affect this run. My joints in general were stiff and achy. And of course, my hands were frozen. Other then that, I felt great and did a short stretching session before I tackled my 5k.

I felt slow and tired as I got started, although my mind was very active and overally excited to be tackling the first night of invigerating cool weather. In fact, I didn’t listen to any music tonight. My first mile split (9:00) was acceptable for me although slower then what I had planned to run. I had hoped the cooler weather would mean faster-then-normal splits, I guess.

In mile 2 I cruised a nice and easy 9:08 and began picking up the pace with mile 3. Mile 3 was a fast 8:49 (it actually felt good) and I could tell my body was finally warm-uped. Oh well.
Overall, I felt like a real runner tonight. Except for the chattering teeth and dumb grin I probably had on my face due to the weather. And the achy runner’s knees I had too…ohno. Hopefully it’s just due to the weather changing…

The STATS:
5 miles overall

5k: 27:52 (7 seconds faster then last week)
Ave 8:58/mile (same time as 8.4k)

One mile wu: 12:16
mile1: 9:00
mile2: 9:08
mile3: 8:49
mile3.1: 1:09
one mile cd: 10:00

Heart-rate: 169 ave 234 max (not good at all-too high due to wu!)
Weather: cold. Lower 40’s.

post script: pictures from the 8.4k. that's me in the orange hat (yeah, Cassie!). Other then the 'rockit' pictures, I look pretty miserable. (But, I really felt fine.)

5 Comments:

  • nice pics

    By Blogger equarles, at Fri Nov 18, 09:35:00 PM  

  • nice pictures- I luv the orange hat!!! Also, when it gets cold outside I always have achy knees for a little bit after I'm done. It aches right dead center under my kneecaps, but goes away after 10 minutes or so. Weird huh.

    By Blogger Tiggs, at Sat Nov 19, 08:20:00 AM  

  • Great pics! Hard to tell there was so much heat/humidity that day - you look like it was just another run in the park. ;)

    I love wearing gloves during a cold run - there's something comforting about it.

    By Blogger jen, at Mon Nov 21, 03:30:00 PM  

  • Great pics. Where ya been? Hope the lack of updates isn't indicative of achy knees keeping you from running. Hope all is okay!

    Sam

    By Blogger Sam, at Tue Nov 22, 01:56:00 PM  

  • no, i'm just slow to type the last few days (and swamped at work!)! some new updates later this morning...
    -Jessica

    By Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete, at Wed Nov 23, 11:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home