Jessica, a Houston Runner

Thursday, November 17, 2005

11/15/05: Smartie Workout From the DarkSide!

Darkside=Ouch.

This SMARTie workout was über tough and I’m not sure why. My legs feel mostly recovered from Sunday’s effort but I just felt slow and sluggish. The funny thing is that the cold weather has (mostly) rolled in and I don’t think it really helped my run at all. Anyhow, it was a ‘Three’s Company’ crowd tonight (Coach Brett, Strider Chip and myself) since the violent-looking lightning scared everyone away, I guess. In fact, I think I counted MAYBE a total of 30 people at the Park tonight. Most nights there are AT least 300 people there.

The workout was a speciality that Brett cooked up and dubbed ‘Death Charges.’ The workout consists of: 600m at 5k pace, 100m jog, 100m sprint and then a 400m recovery loop. Wow, I am tired just typing all of that! I did this 4 times, which was the goal for the night. Honestly, I wanted to stop after 3, but I couldn’t let the [much faster] guys down. And now that I look at it, it doesn’t SEEM hard, maybe I just had the wrong mindset about it. But I was just sooo physically beat, in a way I have never felt after a workout. I could even feel my dumb right shin getting angry with me after we finished. Too bad my heart rate didn’t reflect how hard I pushed this one…

The STATS:
4 miles

One mile wu: 12:00
First DC: 6:30
2nd DC: 6:24
3rd DC: 6:42
4th DC: 6:58
½ mile CD: 5:00

Heart-rate: 170 ave 191 max
Weather: cool, low humidity. Maybe in the 50’s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home