Jessica, a Houston Runner

Monday, November 14, 2005

11/13/05: 8.4k Race Report (warning, very long!!)

Despite the outlandishly-warm weather for Houston in November (the high was 87 today! 90% humidity!), I ran the best race of my running days yet. I'm not sure *WHY*, which is a wierd thing to say/type, but I just did NOT have a good training week in my opinion. #1: i trained wayyy too hard (IMHO) for what was a 'recovery week' for me. #2: i just did not have the right mind-set this week...a lot of negative energy that didn't translate into my running very well. #3: No SMART this week for me...I felt kind of bad for not seeing my group aka I was a slacker! But, overall, now that the race is done, I can see that none of this stuff mattered/affected me.

I actually am thinking that my hard(er) training schedule this week prepared me well for the race...I felt no fatigue right before or during the race and the humidity (other then sweat in my eyes) didn't bother me. (Side note: I did crash pretty hard once I got home though--taking a 2 hour nap and later falling asleep around 8pm and waking up at midnight, wide awake!) My focus was absolutely incredible, and other then talking to one guy around the first mile marker, I was soley focused on myself. I did find enough extra energy to cheer for my club though, and the best moment of the race for me was seeing Coach Brett in a close 1st place race with Carlo Deason (I believe) at their mile 4, and I was like "Go Brett, Rockit man!" and I swear I heard him yell back "I'm gonna take him!" That was pure motivation for me and he ended up winning the overall race:)

Speedy Sam (4th overall in the 8.4k) was about 100 meters from the finish and cheered me in/really helped push me..."You're almost there! Finish strong!" All I could do was nod my head and agree. Wow, overall those last 2.15 miles cooked and I passed every single female I was in the vacinity of with the exception of Richmond's Gail Webster, who actually placed right behind me in overall standings, but she sure gave me a good chase as I was right behind her the entire race and knew I could keep up with her pace! I later thanked her for pushing me and I hope to see her at the Half Marathon as she will running it as well.

All in all, as much as I wish I could have ran the LONG one with the rest of the Striders, there was just NO WAY I could have ran the 25k today...I watched the finish line for an hour and got to see the first finishers (BTW-the 8.4k'ers had a 15 minute head start on the 25k'ers) and not many people appeared happy with their overall efforts. I saw someone throw-up right in front of me and some other assorted things that proved that the heat really got to people today. However, we Striders still had a good share of hardwear winners (13, including myself) and not everyone seemed dissapointed with how they did.

Overall, I am very proud of my efforts, and proud the HRB's too...although I didn't get to see Holden or Jen race, I did cheer for Cassie and Jon and saw Sarah at the starting line. I am curious (as I am sure everyone else is-about their own personal race) to know how I would have raced had it not been yucky-feeling today, but I surely raced up to my expectations/gave it my all so I can't be dissapointed. I love the fact I could run two 'conservative' miles and kick up the pace and mostly hold it for over 2 miles (although I almost lost it at the end as my breathing got a little crazy and I had to concentrate on my breathing to avoid hypervenalating). I love the fact I felt like I could have run another 5 miles (slowly) after the race. I love the fact I can tell I am getting faster and stronger--my training with the SMARTies is paying off in ways I never thought possible. I am definelty becoming a more-disiplined runner and much more dedicated to the entire sport. I just hope I can keep up my training through the tough and HOT off-season (Feb-July).

One final thought--I'm a little sad I won't be participating in the 30k fesitivities other then as a volunteer, but that's okay. I (just like Lisa!) get excited about being a cheerleader and being supportive to my fellow runners, regardless of club/affiliation. (I almost always cheer for my fellow racers while I am running next to them--I love some friendly competition, especially with the guys!) It's just very inspirational both spiritually and physically to be surrounded by so many great atheletes and the Houston-area has some of the best...Isn't running the greatest, I would be totally lost with out it.

The STATS:
5.15 miles
3rd place in 25-29 age group

Mile1: 9:10
Mile2: 9:32 (too slow!)
Mile3: 9:17
Mile4: 8:19 (too fast!)
Mile5: 8:42
Mile5.15: 1.36

46:38 total running
ave 8:58/mile

Heart-rate: 179/ave 203/max (this is really good for me!)
Weather: 80% humidity, lower 70’s.

6 Comments:

  • Congrats Jess!!!

    By Blogger Tiggs, at Mon Nov 14, 12:00:00 PM  

  • Good to see you yesterday. Sounds like you ran a GREAT race!

    By Blogger Sarah, at Mon Nov 14, 02:38:00 PM  

  • Great race. Congrats!!!

    By Blogger equarles, at Mon Nov 14, 02:48:00 PM  

  • Great job! Great report, and you definitely ran very strong through out the race, just looking at those times. Congrats, too, on the age group award and the sub-9 minute pace! Keep up the great work!

    By Blogger Sam, at Tue Nov 15, 08:47:00 AM  

  • Nice job out there. You deserve that PR. What you say makes me wonder about how much you should rest up before a race. Lasse Viren said he always ran tons of miles even during periods of competition, and I ran my best race ever last spring at the end of a 40 mile week which was the highest for me at the time.

    Anyways, Rock on. Keith.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Tue Nov 15, 08:01:00 PM  

  • Jessica - CONGRATS!!! I can't believe you did so well in that heat/humidity...actually, I *can* believe it because you've been training so well. :) It seems like every race, you're making another PR! I really hope you've been showing off that medal!

    See you next month at the 30K!

    By Blogger jen, at Wed Nov 16, 03:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home