Jessica, a Houston Runner

Monday, November 07, 2005

11/03/05: A Lonely 5 Mile Run at the Park…

I have never ever felt lonely or alone when I run, but tonight was a definite first. It seemed like it was social hour at the Park…everyone was there with a buddy or friend…everyone except loser me, of course. I can count the amount of times I have done a training run with a partner on both hands. I just tend to run—alone. Granted, I have tons of fellow Striders I could run with (and fellow bloggers! Sorry, I need to put your guy’s phone numbers in my running bag…) but push-comes-to-shove, no one runs my funky pace so I usually opt to run alone (although I did try to follow the MPR’s for about ½ a mile—wow! That was tough when they average 6:30/mile!)

The first mile I ran in an even 8:30. I just let my feet take me and it just felt soooo good to move. I had my iPod going so I didn’t care about anything at that point in time. I slowed down in mile 2 to about 9:02, and then wayyy down in mile 3, speed back up in mile 4, and finished mile 5 with a strong 8:15. With this run, I didn’t care to keep even splits, I just enjoyed the run--I probably could have even run without my watch and been content. Sometimes we get so independent/obsessed with the things that are suppose to help us. Honestly, all that mattered was ME with this run. And the 200 crunches I did after the last mile (ya know, to get that nice burn going for the next day…)


Anyhow, an okay run overall on a nice evening that ended up feeling okay and not so lonely. BUT! I will be out of town until Sunday--I will probably get a 10 mile long run in on Monday (yuck!). It’s a recovery week since the 25k/8.4k is the following Sunday--I’m wayyyy excited as I have mentioned before. I am eager for another PR and to get out of this running (and health) funk I have been in for the last week…

The STATS:

5 miles

ave 9:13/mile

Heart-rate: 166 ave, 184 max

Weather: upper 70’s. breezy.

3 Comments:

  • Great to run with you last night. Glad we ran into eachother. I didn't read this post till just this morning (Tuesday), and find it ironic that you just posted about running alone. :)

    See ya on the roads...or the trails!
    Sam

    By Blogger Sam, at Tue Nov 08, 09:33:00 AM  

  • You know, I find that I often run *better* when I'm alone -- when I'm with someone, I'm always worried that I'm slowing them down! On my own, I feel free to push myself or not depending on how I feel.

    By Blogger Sarah, at Tue Nov 08, 10:04:00 AM  

  • Sam-
    It was so ironic! Glad we got to chat! I look forward to more great runs!
    -Jessica

    By Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete, at Thu Nov 10, 10:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home